• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Illinoisan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanders

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to all.
I just found this website listed in the back of my new Muzzleloader Magazine. It looks like an interesting site. It is always good to have folks to chat with- especially in winter.
I've been reenacting for about 3 years now- Fur Trade era ca. 1820. I'm a social worker by trade and a history buff by inclination. I also volunteer at a local 1880 farm where I am one of the blacksmiths.
I shoot a percussion Hawken .50 cal. that was a kit from Dixie gun works, a .50 cal. percussion pistol that was a CVA kit that I found at a garage sale fpr $5.00, and an old Kentucky rifle .28 cal. that I cobbled together out of parts I picked up at auctions & online. I do beadwork, made my own buckskins, mocs, lodge, and just about everything else except weaving my own blankets. A feller's got to draw the line somewheres. But, I have fingerwoven a sash and am working on another. In other words I'm interested in just about everything.
I live in Bloomingdale, Illinois which is about 25 miles west of Chicago. Glad to be here.

Welcome from Philo, about 125 miles south of Chicago. Wish it was further, but this is where the job is.

Wanders,
welcome to the forum glad to have you with us. lots of friendly folks and loads of information :imo: no matter where your interest mite lie. hope you will join in and contribute whenever you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Wanders,
Like I said yesterday on the Builders Bench: Don't you guys know that black powder is a progressive disease? You'll get to blankets soon enough.
I'm south of you in Morris. Forge, moccasins, sewing shirts, bags, scrimshawing horns, etc. Except that I've graduated to flintlocks. I'm on no. 5.
Welcome to the forum.

Lobster John

Welcome

Had some friends who lived there awhile back. Nice area. Good to have you aboard.

Wanders: Welcome To The Camp !!
I also wanted to welcome you to the camp. Glad to hear of all you projects you have done. Have you fired the CVA .50 cal. percussion pistol yet? I want to get that pistol too.
Again welcome, Take care, Mtn-Man2u :)

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes, I've fired the CVA pistol. It's heavy, but shoots nice. None of my guns have been bench sited so I never know wether to blame myself or the gun for issues of accuracy. But it seems to be sited in pretty well. At 25 yards I can be right on target- (note CAN be, not always). That gun was such a good deal. It was on a workbench at a garage sale held by an older couple and had a $5.00 price tag on it. I looked and it appeared to have all the parts so I bought it. On closer examination, I found it was missing the thimble for the ramrod. I called CVA and they still had some in stock even though they stopped making the gun about 1977. With postage it cost me about $11.00. So the gun cost me a total of $16.00. It turned out to be missing the clip that allows you to hook it on your belt, but I haven't got that yet. It's a nice companion piece for my Hawken- both shoot .50 cal.
If you can find one grab it. It's a nice piece.
Bill :redthumb:

Back