• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's another horn I've been working on and just finished today. This horn is based on two originals, with the first being a horn that Big Bubba Daddy posted a picture of a few months back. The fluted flats really intrigued me and I just had to try making one like it.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/224275/post/606361/hl//fromsearch/1/

The second horn is one shown on page 100 of Madison Grant's book "Powder Horns and Their Architecture". This horn had been modified to carry round balls at the butt. I decided to modify this horn in a similar manner.

Fluted1.jpg

Fluted2.jpg

The horn will carry approximately 20 .50 cal round balls in the turned butt plug.
Now that this one is done, I think I'll try some flat horns...
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
:shocked2: NEAT! :applause: soooooooooo, i suppose the strap will be pillow tickin? powder patch ball? nice job! looks great! :bow:

Very nice horn. I like the ball carrying concept. never seen that before. I`ve kinda got the itch to make another horn myself. Might try the same thing. Bet it works slick, one less thing to carry in the pouch. :thumbsup:

Thanks Swampy!
RC, that is a great idea. I just may make a strap from ticking.
Well Brett, I dunno about that. Just wait until I make another fish! :grin:
Scott

Yah, it is a neat idea. I was showing it to a friend last night and his reply was how do you keep the balls from rattling around and making noise? Something to think about...
Scott

41Aeronca said:
his reply was how do you keep the balls from rattling around and making noise?

:hmm:
The horn will carry approximately 20 .50 cal round balls in the turned butt plug.
can't roll around if it's full..... :wink: ORRRRRRRRR... smoothie horn,carry shot! :grin:

41Aeronca said:
Yah, it is a neat idea. I was showing it to a friend last night and his reply was how do you keep the balls from rattling around and making noise? Something to think about...
Scott

:hmm: If the plug was two pieces and you could (?)unscrew the very end to expose the chamber that holds the balls, this could be lined with leather I would think. Or if one piece like I think your is, on the next one you could prep that area before attaching it to the horn. Hollow out the chamber, line it with leather, then plug it and attach it to the horn. :hmm:

You'd need a large tap to make the threads if you were to screw the whole butt plug. Lining with leather was something I hadn't thought of. Good idea. :hmm:
Scott

i'm really liken that smoothbore powder/shot horn thing... :grin: jus a couple loads of shot..sorta "onhand" or "inhorn" jus in case type thing...:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Hey Scott,
Looks great. You are really taking this horn building to a new level. I always look forward to seeing your new projects.
Take Care
Pat

Thanks Pat! I might take this horn to Dixon's this next year. We were talking about taking a big road trip this summer.
Scott

Very cool! :bow: I like that idea a lot.

The throat on that thing must've been really think to get those flutes like that. I like the color, BTW.

Latest posts

Back