• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why I Enjoy January So Much

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Farm Lane to the Back Fields.jpg
Ohio Muzzleloader Season is here and almost gone. The older Lyman GPR I purchased this past Fall from a gentleman at the Ohio Gun Collector's Association show has given me many hours of tinkering with smoothing the bore and learning what it will shoot adequately. I've settled on 80 grains of FFFg for the time being and a box of Hornaday Swaged .530 balls that I got in a swap 25 years ago. This is the first 54 caliber MZ I've owned, though a passel of 50's in the last 35 years. I've sighted it in at 80 yards, and it shows low about 3" at 100. That could be me more than the rifle, as I am not ecstatic with the Lyman replacement sights that came with it. That will be dwelt with another time. For now I needed it to make meat and this afternoon was the day.

I was granted permission to hunt this farm about 5 years ago. How pleasing it is to be able to walk the long dirt lane back to the far reaches of the property in the cold wind and sunshine a little after 3 pm, especially since missing all of last season with a busted foot that now sports 10 screws and two plates thanks to a motorcycle accident in September of 2020. But I've been determined to hunt this year, and hunt I have been doing. The 45/70 toppled over the young buck opening morning of firearms season, and I've not filled a doe tag since. Not for lack of trying.

Saturday evening I gambled and sat on the other end of the back 40 instead of my normal area. Sure enough, the 4 does would have been in my lap had I done so. As it was they were too far away with no good way to sneak closer. This afternoon, with the wind direction I did want to be closer to where I've seen them come out of the woods this season but had to take in consideration where my scent would blow to. I took another gamble, and parked my butt at the base of a small Black Walnut tree at the near the woods but skirting the field edge. The tree trunk and brush were behind to break up my outline, but I was pretty exposed.
Sitting Spot 01 10 2022.jpg

On the good chance the ladies arrive near the same time and place as two evenings prior my chances were good.

At approximately 4:40 pm the parade began out of the woods along the far fence line where I normally sit, but the prevailing wind wouldn't permit it this time. They were just too far for a shot with the PRB and a new gun that I am not sure of the trajectory at over 150 yards. They appeared to be heading to the neighboring field on a mission. Didn't think I had a chance at one of them this outing, when the skippies out front veered to my left. That was interesting, as it changed the direction of the other two larger deer bringing up the rear. Still too far. Watch, sit tight, see what happens. Then, all at once, as if something to their off side spooked them, they flushed my direction. Yes, they were going to come back to the area they normally converge upon, only this time I was there. It wasn't the best of situations, because if they rushed in too fast and close I may not get lined up before being spotted, and one of the youngsters was making a beeline right at me. When Momma checked up broadside a good piece out I already had a steady rest on the cross sticks, sighted high up on her shoulder and gently touched off. The impact was nearly as loud as the report, and down she instantly went. Pandamonium broke out and deer were scattering in all directions, except the larger doe I just shot. I suspected a spine hit prompting a fast reload. It was obvious she wasn't getting up and I walked out to give her a finishing shot lower into the chest cavity.
PRB Doe 96 Long Steps Spine Hit.jpg

This old, new Lyman GPR was christened rather well. 96 long strides from the sitting tree to her final resting place was paced off, twice. Skinning her out this evening round ball that broke the spine was against the offside hide. It held up impressively for what it plowed through.
Recovered RB Patch Side.jpg

Recovered RB Spine Side.jpg

Weighs in at 203.1 grains.
I'll be in the market for a round ball mold eventually, but am pleased I've keep those Hornaday Swaged balls around all this time. Sure is good to layer up and make another hunting memory, as well as some meat.

There was a Few threads from Member Herb who was Developing a Elk rifle load and was using a .54 - I think it was a custom or GPR. Either way it was similar.
He was using Swiss powder and upper end charges. Higher velocities for flatter trajectory and he did extensive data research with chronograph speeds. Details and info may assist you with preparing for longer shots, if that’s your thing.

Looks like your on the rite track there fellow Buckeye. I used to hunt a big open farm as well. Yet now a wooded area, so I sold my long ranger.

I Love the Season here, this year was a cold and rainy one.

Af58X

Latest posts

Back