• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another deer down.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got another one this evening, but with a different rifle. This one is a .54 by Mike Brooks that was built in the early1990s. Once again I was playing Freecell to keep my hands still, and the doe walked out. She stopped with her front half behind a tree which gave me time to prime and cock the rifle. When she stepped out, I was propped on the rail of the stand and waiting. She nervously stopped broadside to look around but her back foot was twitching. That told me it was time to shoot before she ran. The rifle that had been loaded for 2wks. went off perfectly. At 40yds. the ball went through both lungs and into the dirt. I found a foot long gouge in the dirt. Thought I had missed but I knew the shot was good. I backed up toward the stand a few steps and went to where she ran through the fence. Found her blood trail halfway to the fence and went to find her. Managed to trip over the remaining bottom strand of the fence. Me , rifle , and flashlight all hit in the wet leaves at the same time.
The phone camera picture is slightly out of focus.

P_20210126_170959.jpg

Yes it is. It has a killer piece of wood, but you can't see it without bright light. Being built in the 1990s the stain may have kept working. I'll ask Mike next time I talk to him. I got it from the Rock Island Auction along with two others, but that is another story. That is a well done Melchoir Fordney style of box. There are better pictures on my blog at October 2020. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com

Latest posts

Back