• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another bullet board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pictures of a bullet board I made for my .54 Great Plains Rifle. The wood is from a Smoke Tree and has a beautiful yellow color.

smoketreebulletboard1.jpg

smoketreebulletboard2.jpg

I left the inner bark of the branch to give the board a rustic look to it. Also check out the knife that Two-Bellys made using the same wood for the handle:
Knife

Scott

:thumbsup: Nice bullet board there 41 A .
Maybe some of the old hands here on the forum will get a chuckle out of my next question, but I gotta ask.: You said the wood is from a smoke tree? Is that a species? or is it some condition that affects a certain tree? Either way that's real pretty wood. Just that I've never seen or heard tell of it before.
Thanks for showing
Soggy

Hi Soggy,
It's a species. The tree is Cotinus coggygria, common name the Smoke Tree. It's a small shrub-like tree native to the South Eastern US and produces a wispy, airy, pink flower, which ends up blowing all over everywhere, hence the name.
Scott

that is nice and i like the bark left on it ,that is some fine color in that wood :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think your bullet board is just gorgeous. I admire the creativity of many of the members of this board. I wish that I had half the imagination that many of you have. :bow:

Thanks bioprof, but golly, I think the same thing about all of you. :shocked2:
I didn't start thinking about bullet boards until I saw the beautiful one you made, bioprof. Then Two-Bellys inquired about the smoke tree wood, and it slapped me in the face, why don't I make a board from this stuff. And if I wasn't so lazy as to shape it... :winking:
Actually I was going to trim and shape the board a bit, but when I pulled the outer bark off and saw the patterns, I thought man, this looks good!
I feed off of all you out there for ideas, and I hope that something I make inspires someone else. We are all creative in one way or another, and what a wonderful place to show it off.
Scott

Scott, you are gunna hafta get me a chunk of that!...since ya did 2 bellies and all!

another wood somewhat available to you and me on this coast is Juniper, its white and pink grained when dry and has lots of figure, unfortunately, I dont think we would ever find a chunk big enough for a stock. If we could, we would be the envy of all those birds-eye-maple people :grin:
I will see if I still have any.

nice work!

Brett

Hmmm, Brett, next time I head over the hill to the Bend area I might go scrounging. There are a lot of areas where one can go cut wood. Juniper would be a fine wood to work with, suppose to make good traditional bows too...
Scott

I didn't have a 35/64 drill bit, so I used a 9/16. I figured that 1/64 over was acceptable... :)

Scott

Back