• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another bison horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay boys, if I can do it, you can do it too, and probably a whole lot better. Here are some pics of the first powder horn I've made from scratch. I don't have years of replica building behind me, don't have a shop of fancy tools, and the last real carving I did was about 40 years ago and involved a merit badge, but I think it came out "okay."

Total material cost is less than $20. Put about 10 hours of labor into it, but I started over at least once (filed it down smooth and just stared over!) so the next one will be quicker. If you put a lot of money value on your time you might be better off buying one. If you like making things for yourself, then go for it... it is easier than you think it is.

Not an attempt at a PC horn - it started off as one of those "I wonder if..." kind of projects and just snowballed from there. And, kind of like a concept car, I think it might have one too many elements in it. I'm not sure about that engrailing. That might be an element best reserved for horns with two contrasting colors. Here I think it might make things too "busy." I'll take other opinions on that, but my thoughts right now are I'll hang it on the wall and look at it for a month. If I don't like the looks of it, I've learned it is no big deal to just file it off, smooth it out, and put a smooth curve where that engrailing used to be.

buff_horn2.jpg

buff_horn3.jpg

buff_horn4.jpg

Well boys, whadda ya' think?

I think it's a great piece of work!The reason I posted a couple of mine,was not because they were great works of "art",but to encourage others here to get their feet wet and give it a try.I do like the looks of relief carving on horns,I think Yours is one fine example. :imo: :front:

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I was really surprised at how easy this material is to work.
The reason I posted a couple of mine...was to encourage others here to get their feet wet and give it a try.
Same here! I figure if this hillbilly can do it, most anybody can.

I like that elegant look on your bison horn and I think I'll go with that look on the next project - a matching powder horn and primer of bison horn. Already have the horns (really rough) but think I'll fiddle around with my shooting bag first.

Oh, by the way, spousal-unit just gave a thumbs up on that engrailed edge. I usually trust her judgement in these things, but I'm not so sure this time. And that off-color on the seam between wooden base plug and the horn is bee's wax.

Wow, great job AZ-Robert. :grey: That horn looks really great.

I like the way you posted the pics in sequence so we can see how the horn developed. I'm impressed! :master:

-Shooey

Very nice work.. Sooner or later y'all are gonna give me enough courage to try one. :hatsoff:

You should be proud of it . It is one of a kind . Nice job . :RO:

A-Z that is an amazing horn; the relief carving is fantastic! One question though, why'd you face the Buffalo thataway? It looks to me as if the powder is coming out of the wrong end of the beast! :haha:

I'm impressed. You might be right about the engrailing, however. Still, I like the way you rendered the buffalo.:master:

Concept horn------- :hmm: I might have to try one of those.

Cruzatte

Thanks for the second opinion, Cruzatte. It took only a few days rather than a month for me to decide it would look better without that engrailing. This morning I spent about a half-hour with a file taking it off, and another half-hour or so scraping it smooth and getting it buffed up. Had to take off quite a bit around the outside curve to get a pleasing line -- good news is there was plenty of thickness left to work with, and the material is easy to work. Brother Buffalo is no longer quite visually centered in his space, but I can get over that more easily than I was going to get over the engrailing.

Over on another thread, DGeraths pointed out that a few imperfections give these things the look and feel of authenticity. I didn't need to work at adding any -- things just kind of took care of themselves in that regard. I think the other thing that adds a touch of the genuine is when something looks well used... you don't just make it and put it on the wall... you put it to use, so that is my next step.

Again, I think it turned out "okay", and if this hillbilly can do it, you can do it too, and probably a whole lot better.

buff_horn5.jpg

Guys, I'm at a loss here. What is "Engrailing"?
A-Z, I'm Jealous. my horns always turn out looking like I was wearing boxing gloves when I made 'em!
Again, that's a beaut! have you thought about a strap for it?

Engrailing is that crenellated edge that divided the front tip section from the rear body of the horn. You've probably seen it most often on horns where the tip is cut down and dyed a darker color while the lighter colored body is left "raised up," so to speak.

As for a strap, right now I have a 1/8" wide plain leather thong on it. But I'm thinking I might go with a woven strap that has leather tabs at the end, and leather thongs laced through those tabs. The thongs would just tie to the horn... similar setup to what DGerath did with the F&I period horn he turned out. Another option is plain but wider leather strap... say about 1/2".

Any other ideas out there?

AZ-Robert,
GREAT JOB!
snake-eyes :applause: :applause: :applause: :master: :master: :master:

Robert,

Good job. It may not be PC east of the Big Muddy, but it sure as heck is on this side. You will see quite a few buffler horns at Bents Fort and the mountain rendezvous.

Bill

Back