• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And yet another Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful job, what did you use to stain the stock?
Nicely done. I like the red. Is that Laurel Mountain Forge Cherry? Semper Fi.
PS, Jim must be a wealthy guy just from the member of this forum. ;)
Thank you both. It’s Laurel Mountain Forge Cherry stain and denatured alcohol. About a 50/50 mix and 3 coats over a 2 day period. Then 3 hand rubbed coats of Tried & True with 2 days between coats. (3 days would have been better).

Finished this Cherry SMR in .45 cal today. Nothing notable about it except it has my homemade, taller rear sight installed. This rifle will eventually go to my 2nd grandson, but I’ll enjoy using it until he gets older. Now both grandsons will have .45 SMRs.
That is pretty!!

Thank you. I spent a fair amount of time working up the stain/alcohol ratio to get what you see. It was Laurel Mountain Cherry stain and denatured alcohol.
Nice I’m working on a cherry SMR. I’m thinking of not staining it and letting Mother Nature darken it. What finish did you use on the iron?

Finished this Cherry SMR in .45 cal today. Nothing notable about it except it has my homemade, taller rear sight installed. This rifle will eventually go to my 2nd grandson, but I’ll enjoy using it until he gets older. Now both grandsons will have .45 SMRs.
Very nice rifle. Going to a good young man. Like the color .

Thank you both. It’s Laurel Mountain Forge Cherry stain and denatured alcohol. About a 50/50 mix and 3 coats over a 2 day period. Then 3 hand rubbed coats of Tried & True with 2 days between coats. (3 days would have been better).
After I give my last finish coat a few days to dry, I wax 2 coats with BriWax. Once in the AM and once in the afternoon. BriWax is all natural Bees wax and carnauba oil. After shooting and cleaning, a quick BriWaxing will keep you stock looking like new. And yes, I also wax the metal parts as a rust preventative. There are the same wax formulas under other brand names. Semper Fi.

Would love to have more detail about your sights. My Kibler Colonial is shooting about 8" low at 27 yards. I would rather not file down the front sight if possible.

Beautiful

Fantastic way to carry on a generational tradition and love of a passion and family

TDM, Did you use the sights that Kibler provided or others? Just curious!

Back