• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Early Miquelet Wall Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought a few of you might like to see this one. Belongs to a collector friend. To me, the most interesting parts being the lock plate and butt stock. Carry-overs from the wheellock period. And note the sear/trigger bar assembly. That trigger bar piece being the same as the missing part from my Scandinavian lock. It's also a good example of how the miquelet lock was well in development earlier than many originally thought (including myself, till about 20 years ago).

Rick

17-VII-01_(a)_overall,_R[1].JPG
17-VII-01_(c)_breech,_R[1].JPG
17-VII-01_(d)_breech,_T[1].JPG
L-001a_notes[1].JPG
L-002_interior_overall[1].JPG
L-002a_sear[1].JPG

RickStl - Do you now believe that a Miquelet lock PRECEDES the Snaphaunce lock?????
Hi Flint

No. Not quite. At least according to what evidence I've seen and read over the years. But it's only been in the last 20 or so years that evidence has turned up proving the miquelet lock likely began development earlier on than many of us originally thought. It seems, for the most part, the development and continuous refinement of the miquelet lock traveled along side the same timeline as the eventual French style flintlock.

Rick

Time line???
LOL. Well, that may be a bit beyond my pay grade. Not really sure. We do know that the Spanish version of the miquelet was fully developed (with continuous refinements later on) by the early 17th Century. The miquelet in it's early development utilized the horizontal sear arrangement from the snaphaunce, but a much improved variation. My best guess is that the miquelet lock began it's earliest development sometime towards the end of the 16th Century. With the snaphaunce showing up about mid-16th century.

Rick

I should make it clear that I don't necessarily believe that the miquelet lock was an outgrowth of the snaphaunce lock. It's more of a coincidence that the miquelet showed up maybe 40 years later than the snaphaunce, in different countries. The big technological change happened with the frizzen and pan cover becoming one-piece. And a case could be made that the miquelet was the first lock to adopt that feature.

Rick

I have an undocumented quote in my notes, says "Miquelet - Spanish lock developed in Madrid, 1620"
Hi Flint

That 1620-1625 date is pretty accurate IMO. By then, the lock was basically developed. But it's beginnings likely started at the end of the 16th Century. 20-30 years of time during that period would likely be considered fast progress.
By the time the miquelet lock was developed, it's later refinements seemed to run parallel with the advancements in the French flintlock.
In any case, lots of lock changes and experimentation between 1550 and 1650.

Rick

Rick, your friend's wall gun is simply stunning. Any idea of other dimensions, i.e., weight, barrel length, caliber? Seems to me something on those lines coming in under 10 pounds -- or better, under 9 -- would make a lovely field/hunting piece. The stock architecture is simple and, to me, elegant.

Rick, your friend's wall gun is simply stunning. Any idea of other dimensions, i.e., weight, barrel length, caliber? Seems to me something on those lines coming in under 10 pounds -- or better, under 9 -- would make a lovely field/hunting piece. The stock architecture is simple and, to me, elegant.
Hi Bill

Well, I was partially in error. It's not wall size. Owner says it's 55 1/2" long AOL, with a .63 caliber bore and a 41" long barrel. Weight is about 9-10 lbs. Sorry for the error.

Rick

Makes one wonder with the snaphaunce origins and miquelet origins being late 15 early 16 hundreds. Franchise could have taken the southern integrated frizzen of the miquelet and northern internal springs to develop the true flintlock.

Makes one wonder with the snaphaunce origins and miquelet origins being late 15 early 16 hundreds. Franchise could have taken the southern integrated frizzen of the miquelet and northern internal springs to develop the true flintlock.
Hi Swab

That seems like a real possibility. I think it's reasonable to assume that lock makers - especially from the late 16th to early 17th centuries - would study various other lock makers ideas.

Rick

Rick, no worries at all. That elegant piece would actually be practical to carry, which makes it even lovelier.
I don't know how I came up with "wall gun" Somehow, I mis-remembered. LOL My bad. Actually, those dimensions sound typical of muskets for that period.

Rick

I don't know how I came up with "wall gun" Somehow, I mis-remembered. LOL My bad.
Most likely 'old age' bro ... but no worries, I'm getting it too ... sometimes, 'tis called "Sometimers" disease. Given the state of the World ... I don't really mind getting old ... I just thought it would take longer!

You sure have some NICE toys! :ghostly:

Most likely 'old age' bro ... but no worries, I'm getting it too ... sometimes, 'tis called "Sometimers" disease. Given the state of the World ... I don't really mind getting old ... I just thought it would take longer!

You sure have some NICE toys! :ghostly:
LOL. Sometimers disease. That's a good one. LOL It's a PITA getting older. But I know what you mean by "current state of the world". Both my daughters once asked me if growing up in the 1950's and early 1960's was fun. I told them, in a word, YES.

Sadly, this OP gun is not in my collection.

Rick

Latest posts

Back