• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Air gap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchmanDick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had considered trying Foster slugs in my NWTG (20 gauge), but then I thought that perhaps the deep cavity (MUCH deeper than in a Minie ball) might - just might - cause the equivalent of an "air gap" and ring or burst the barrel. Anybody else of that opinion? Or would that not likely be a problem if a card and cushion were used between the powder and slug (I was thinking originally of just loading it straight, like a Minie)?

I'm just guessing, but I would think loading it straight the powder would fill the empty base.

You could also fill it with lube and use a card between.

Because of the thick wall of the 20 gauge plastic casings, for shotshells, you should expect that 20 ga. foster slug to actually be something closer to a 21 gauge slug in diameter, and "LOOSE" fitting in a MLer. Its Not a Minie ball!
Fill the base with grease( crisco works) and use an OP wad to seal the bore behind it, to get best accuracy. The Grease in the cavity will prevent the wad from being forced into it, where it can either stay with the slug all the way to your target, or part from it somewhere mid-range. Neither situation is desireable for accuracy.

I know people like to play with things like this, but a 20 gauge RB, patched, is going to provide fine accuracy out of most guns. Most Whitetails are shot under 50 yds. A 3/4 oz. 20 gauge lead ball will cleanly kill deer as far as you can hit them.

My recommendation is to forget those expensive foster style slugs- as they simply don't give you that much of an edge, either in accuracy, or in killing power( penetration). Stay with a PRB, and use an OP wad to seal the bore for more consistent velocities, and smaller groups. You can try from 65-90 grains of FFg powder to find a load that is the most accurate in your barrel. :hatsoff:

Better use an over slug wad too, otherwise that undersized slug will move away from the powder, possibly creating an obstruction that will, at minimum, ring your barrel. At worst...expect to buy a new gun, once you are released from the hospital.

God bless

Wow, can I kill a thread, or what? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Good observation, and comment, J.D. Some kind of over bullet wad needs to be used if its loose enough to rattle down the barrel. Its important to keep it snugly against the OP wad. Just remember that if you need an over-sized, or Undersized OP wad, you will need to obtain the same diameter OS card( Over-shot card) to use to hold the slug in the barrel. Considering the weight of the slug, its probably smart to use 2 OS cards, so they act as a lock washer does to hold a nut to a screw. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back