• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 gauge rifled slug out of Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been doing it for years. they work just fine. and you can get 100 yd. accuracy with them. they expand to the barrel DIA, up on firing making a good seal. try them and let us know what you think of them. PS. I use 70 GRS , of 1 or 2 FG.

I tried 20 ga slugs through my smoothbore once. Lubed the sides amd in the cavity. I dont temember the powder chg. Shot them at 50 yards, it pretty much used every bit of a 2x2 foot target board.

Hello everyone, third ever post here. I am wondering if its a good idea to shoot 12 gauge rifled slugs out of my short land Bess. Its kind of just like a minie ball, no? Had a slug dud on me last year so I cut it open and took out the slug. It *just* fits down the barrel its not tight if the barrel isn't fouled at all. Takes less effort than ramming a wadded 71 cal home. I chickened out and pulled it out with my ball puller though, no problem. I was a little worried about the air space in the hollow slug. Should I fill the back of the slug with a wad of greased paper? Has anybody done this? Is it a bad idea? Thanks for your time.
Randy.
I have fired 20 ga Foster slugs in my .62 smooth bore with goid results to 40 - 45 yds. 90 gr. 2f, nitro card, lubed, lubed felt wad, slug, over shot card.

FYI a 58 caliber minie will fit perfectly in a plastic 12 gauge shotgun wad. I know because I shot a few out of my Bess last week. They actually shot pretty well! Anything you stuff down the pipe on top of powder will go down range.

Back