• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging poured pewter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprayinbear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering,

What methods do you guys use to age poured pewter? Bleach, vinegar, etc. don't seem to do much.

Other thoughts?
:hatsoff:

Nitric acid used to stain gun stocks may do it never tried it. I would test on a sample first

lonehunter said:
Wick would know! He is our local expert on aging!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :v

He IS an aged old codger ain't he! :idunno: :blah:

Davy

Im not sayin he is old, but,
His first flintlock,
WAS the first flintlock!!
:shocked2: :rotf: :rotf:

I ain't claimin heza old geezer neether ... but his silver hair (whats left of it :shocked2: ) has a patina on it too! :yakyak: :surrender:

Davy

WARNING Nitric acid will really eat at pewter fast. I used to work in a plating shop and one of the workers brought in an old pewter teapot to clean in one of the acid tanks. He put it on a wire through the handle and dipped it into the tank, in just a few seconds the handle came off and his antique tea pot was in the tank!. We retrived the pot in less than two minutes but it was totally ruined!

lonehunter said:
:rotf: :rotf:
Boy, ima gona pay for this :grin:
Nothin but love, Wick :v

Mr. Ellerbe sir ... would you please kindly put that Bowie knife down sir! Please ... step away from the weapons bar! :hmm: :bow: :grin:

Davy

Yeah Ohio ramrod I bet it did I assume your acid tank is at a higher concentrate. Nitric acid prepaired correctly for stock staining and barrel browning is more weak/diluted its what Aquafortis is made from or at least it was

APB, I've used Nitic acid in a reduced solution with water. It's mixed with 2 parts water and 1 part acid BE CAREFUL mixing it. After it's mixed degrease some OOO steel wool and put it in the acid till it won't take any more (ventilation is of the utmost importance). Then dab it on your pewter till it turns black. Then all you do is rub it with OOOO steel woll to reveal the "aging" you want. Hope this helps...Bud
Like I said before, be careful Nitric acid is powerful stuff

I'd say it depends how much of a hurry you're in. Pewter's one of the faster-oxidizing alloys - if you've got a few days, just handle it plenty and let nature dull it up for you.

You can mess around with Black Max or the like if you're in a hurry, but be careful.

I use Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Just apply and the buff lightly with 0000 steelwool. I used it to age the pewter on this knife.
TC2-2.jpg

Mike Broach

Old Knfmkr said:
I use Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Just apply and the buff lightly with 0000 steelwool. I used it to age the pewter on this knife.
TC2-2.jpg

Mike Broach

Man I sure like that one! Nice! :thumbsup: :bow:

Davy

Back