• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Age Range of BP shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age group do you fall in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m in the 41-60 group and started in 1976…the Bicentennial Year. I remember the 4th of July parade, and watching the MasonVille Buckskinner group come down the parade route shooting off blanks from their muzzleloaders…I was already saving my allowance for a muzzleloader, couple months later…I was the proud owner of a .50 calibre CVA Mountain Rifle.

Great Times

I'm 68 and got my first BP gun 6 years ago. Since then I've accumulated six custom flintlock rifles, two flint pistols and five C&B revolvers. Making up for a late start. :)

What worries me is not the age group on this Forum, but the age group of the Rhondy people in my area. In the 1990s the local Rhondys had a participation of 400-500 shooters. In the last 5 years we have lost 3 Rhondys and a large participation would now be 175 shooters. Locally there’s still 3 strong clubs, but another two may go down. As for our age group probably around 60 to 65. With more passing away every year. And yes I do my share of bringing in the young’uns as seen below.View attachment 136962View attachment 136963 Doc,
Hats off to you Doc. 👍

LOL……The results of this poll are quite similar to the age group polling for most of my interests….of course, flintlocks..But also, motorcycles(HD), sports cars(Porsche-air cooled) , and fly rods(bamboo)….My wife thinks I’m a time warp…..Perhaps, but very content!
I've got some Olde Eynsford and some Swiss I'll trade you for the old Porsche

What worries me is not the age group on this Forum, but the age group of the Rhondy people in my area. In the 1990s the local Rhondys had a participation of 400-500 shooters. In the last 5 years we have lost 3 Rhondys and a large participation would now be 175 shooters. Locally there’s still 3 strong clubs, but another two may go down. As for our age group probably around 60 to 65. With more passing away every year. And yes I do my share of bringing in the young’uns as seen below.View attachment 136962View attachment 136963 Doc,
GOD BLESS YOU!

In the next 10 to 20 years the market is apparently going to be flooded with quality muzzleloaders and the price will be driven down. Will be good for the moment, but that probably doesn't bode well for future producers.

Well with 60 fast receding in the rear view mirrors, I've been interested in black powder since I was old enough to understand guns. My interest is through an interest in the Civil War. It started with one of my relatives who was a very high ranking mucky muck in the United Daughters of the Confederacy and every time we'd visit, we were treated to some very interesting behind the scenes stuff.

The Museum of the Confederacy was originally in a building called the Battle Abbey and she'd show us stuff the casual tourist never saw. Since the Battle Abbey was never intended to be a permanent building, the Museum of the Confederacy was created and the Battle Abbey demolished. During the demo and construction, the collection had to be stored somewhere secure and the UDC stepped up and kept everything till the museum was completed. There were more than a few cool artifacts stored at my relatives house and I got to put my grubby adolescent hands on some very interesting stuff.

So I've been into the holy black for nearly 60 years.

Back