• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Age Range of BP shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age group do you fall in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this!
i swear, if someone wanted to poll how many people have a terminus to an alimentary tract, some people would argue about that!
I swear some people can't seem to make a distinction between discussing and arguing -- and probably think that observation is arguing. 😂

I’m 56. Started shooting black powder around 10 years of age - been doing it ever since. Got my son and son-in-law into it. God-willing will get my grandchildren into it.

LOL……The results of this poll are quite similar to the age group polling for most of my interests….of course, flintlocks..But also, motorcycles(HD), sports cars(Porsche-air cooled) , and fly rods(bamboo)….My wife thinks I’m a time warp…..Perhaps, but very content!

Shot a m/l shotgun 1st time when I was maybe 12 - my father's. So, that was 60 years ago. Gun's gone, but I still have two cans of DuPont powder from his stash. Lots of fond M/L'ing memories,but buddies are all dead. Fun while it lasted.

What worries me is not the age group on this Forum, but the age group of the Rhondy people in my area. In the 1990s the local Rhondys had a participation of 400-500 shooters. In the last 5 years we have lost 3 Rhondys and a large participation would now be 175 shooters. Locally there’s still 3 strong clubs, but another two may go down. As for our age group probably around 60 to 65. With more passing away every year. And yes I do my share of bringing in the young’uns as seen below.
ED978934-AC32-4D94-BC34-6C1D80091047.jpeg
E86DFA84-ABC3-4314-8CB2-DF5F7A0BA67A.jpeg
Doc,

What worries me is not the age group on this Forum, but the age group of the Rhondy people in my area. In the 1990s the local Rhondys had a participation of 400-500 shooters. In the last 5 years we have lost 3 Rhondys and a large participation would now be 175 shooters. Locally there’s still 3 strong clubs, but another two may go down. As for our age group probably around 60 to 65. With more passing away every year.....

And I think that's the point of this poll. I really think that many bp/muzzleloader guys think there isn't a problem but here's some more evidence. Covid didn't cause the problem, look at the age of the participants. I see it at N-SSA Nationals each and every time when they spend 20-30 minutes reading out the names of those who have "crossed over the river". I liken it to reading the obituaries. The only way to stop this decline is get young people introduced to what we do and sitting around a campfire telling tales of the glory days isn't going to fix it.

FWIW, I started shooting/making BP guns about 54 years ago, after I returned from the exotic Southeast Asia vacation my Uncle Sam gave me....... :rolleyes:

111 votes, nice representation of the online group here on this site. The age breakdown is what I’ve been observing for years…we are an aging group.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing the end result. It’s definitely showing what I expected to see. BTW, I’m 45 and started shooting BP when I was 14, I think. Also, I don’t think there’s a massive shortage of young shooters in my area. I do believe that most of them are not traditional BP rifle shooters. I came back to a trad. rifle to make hunting a challenge again. It was a progression for me from ease of taking an animal to making it more about the hunt. A lot of modern hunters make that change as they age, not so much when we’re younger. When we’re young things tend to be more about the destination instead of the journey.

well, i am officially a geezer at 68, but I bought my first cap and ball revolver in college... when i had all of my hair and none of it was white...

One would wonder if modern inline muzzleloader have captured more of the younger generations, that without inlines would have gravitated to traditional muzzleloader.
9/10 young people I talk to that are interested in traditional muzzleloaders started with an in-line. granted I don’t talk to everyone but I find it interesting.

LOL……The results of this poll are quite similar to the age group polling for most of my interests….of course, flintlocks..But also, motorcycles(HD), sports cars(Porsche-air cooled) , and fly rods(bamboo)….My wife thinks I’m a time warp…..Perhaps, but very content!
you left out FASTE HORSES- WILD WOMEN & AND GOOD WHISKEY!

Back