• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Being friendly to New/Kid/ shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was traveling and was at was at A restraunt getting bfast and in walks some guys dressed up in period clothing. Peaked my interest and we struck up convo and they said they were going to a shoot. Just so happens I had my 45 flinter and bag in the camper As I planned to do some shooting with buddies at one of the destination. I asked if it was open to anyone and they stated yes but non-club members had to pay $10 more to shoot. I then asked if i could compete without period clothing which, I was told yes. So I went and signed up and learned it was a woodswalk and paper shoot combination. I paid my money and waited until they had enough to make a group and went to shoot with 3 other gentlemen and had a great time until the shoot was over. I started getting a few hateful looks from a group of older guys and made me feel on edge. They started to announce the top shooters and I ended up winning by 2 points. Then the drama started unfolding. I could verbally hear the same group of guys grumbling how it was unfair an outsider comes in wearing street clothes and wins. Not like I cheated your club members kept score, I just shot. Then the kid in your group took to long to load and slowed you down in the heat and threw your shooting off. I wasn’t in the group with the kid but, maybe they could have assisted him and Offered positive advice (they might have). But hears my point- the sport is struggling to bring in new or even younger shooters as it is why make new people feel like manure because they came to your event and paid money to compete. Was It you thought I was a chump because I didn’t pack my period clothing for an event I didn’t plan on shooting in And ya thought I’d pad the winners pockets some more I get it, it paid Cash for prizes your club guys didn’t win. But to try And make me feel bad because I had a good day and took the prize moneys not cool. The events I go to welcome locally new people and go out of the way to make them feel welcome. I know this groups behavior is not normal for the muzzleloader community but it’s not the first time I have seen it through the US, as I’ve shot all over the county while in the service. For this sport to survive we need to not isolate anyone willing to participate especially woman and children.
I fell in love with rendezvous and shooting at 5 years old, I’ve been that kid Who’s struggling to load fast making sure I’m doing things safely, and in the proper order. I was there to enjoy the sport knowing I had no chance to compete with the adults but did it for the love of it. My dad was there making sure I was being safe but made me do it all on my own - surely wasn’t fast but I was thorough. The other shooters encouraged me and said it’s ok slow down take your time we are in no rush. I carry the patience they gave me throughout life and in the shooting world. You can be an ambassador to the sport or an embarrassment choice is yours. I am a big boy I can deal with it but that young man, might just quit altogether, I hope not I talked with him and said not everyone in the sports a jerk. He said he gets it all the time and feels no one wants him to shoot or be in the group with him because he’s a kid and slow. I told him I’d shoot with him anytime gave him my phone number and said he can call me anytime. I doubt other than for him I’d ever step foot in the that clubs events again but I have options that young man might not. if your the Ambassador type keep it up - if your the Embarrassment type check yourself and if ya don’t know which one you are your probably the later. Shoot straight and take a new person shooting.
Unfortunately ive had the same experience! Last weekend was one. My buddy and i were 1st time shooters. I compete 2 times a mnth and practice 4-5 times a mnth when able. It seems the last 2 rendezvous ive been to i had same problem i placed 3rd out of 45 shooters wouldve been 1st but i messed up on my score card not adding 2 shots that were 2 pointers. Everyone was was very welcoming until it was time for prizes all the other winners were applauded my buddy and i not so much mere silence yes we were in full dress.Same type of thing happened at a rondie earlier this year .These actions are part of why this sport is diminishing so quickly Just because its your 1st time competing doesnt mean your a bad shot !! Just my 10 cents 8)

Besides welcome and tolerance being requisite unwritten rules in a gentleman’s match, I think that offering unsolicited advice (except in cases of unsafe behavior), should be looked down upon. I generally don’t engage in group activities because so few people can’t keep their opinions to themselves. In golf, it is against the rules and still many people can’t help themselves and don’t even know they are doing anything wrong.

Sorry to say I've had similar experiences, three come to mind.

As the only woman on the line my wife placed 2nd in a match we shot in, I won the shoot. The fellows grumbled she'd the advantage of shooting a custom gun.

I traveled with a few shooters from our club to one just across the border of a neighboring state. I had a remarkably good day and got into a shoot off, long range hanging steel fox silhouette,
with the hosting club's top shooter. I took home the cash, about $40 as I recall. Sure felt the cold shoulders on that one.

The last match I ever shot in, now about 20 years ago, my 25 yards offhand groups were clustered tight enough to make exact ball count hard to judge. I was a walk on first time shooter that day. While my scores were accepted it was uncomfortable.

I guess the flip side to all this is I've had more positive experiences in this sport than negative.

Sorry you had that experience. I can understand how that young shooter might be frustrated by the impatience around him, it seems to be everywhere these days. I'm reminded of Wilford Brimley's character's line from The Crossfire Trail, something like "Slow down and you'll get a more harmonious outcome."

It's not just animosity towards youngsters that hurts this pastime, there seems to be an undercurrent of animosity towards anybody who doesn't fit the description of someone who isn't of European descent even on this site. Despite the rule against political talk, which I might be pushing in this post, there seems to be a group of people who insist on injecting a certain strain of politics in the threads every chance they get. I've even seen a post that suggested that it is a bad thing that "those" people might get the chance to vote. We, as a community should have zero tolerance for that kind of stuff if we really want to keep the sport of muzzleloading alive and thriving. The fact is, there have been people of all backgrounds in history that shot muzzleloaders, and there is also plenty of room for them in any historical depictions or reenactments. From my own experiences, one of my buddies was a dreamer who was brought here as a baby and didn't have full legal status until recently. He wanted to get into hunting, and we looked into what he could do. He was able to hunt with a muzzleloader, and Texas doesn't care that he didn't have full legal status as far as hunting licenses go as long as he was a resident. I tried to steer him towards a traditional muzzleloader, but he ended up with an inline, probably partly due to budget. But there is no way I would have referred him to this sight to learn more about traditional muzzleloading as he would have been turned off by the constant injection of politics by a few posters here.

I value thus board for the knowledge about muzzleloading and historical sources here,, but it is not an environment that is friendly towards anyone who doesn't fit a certain mould.

I was traveling and was at was at A restraunt getting bfast and in walks some guys dressed up in period clothing. Peaked my interest and we struck up convo and they said they were going to a shoot. Just so happens I had my 45 flinter and bag in the camper As I planned to do some shooting with buddies at one of the destination. I asked if it was open to anyone and they stated yes but non-club members had to pay $10 more to shoot. I then asked if i could compete without period clothing which, I was told yes. So I went and signed up and learned it was a woodswalk and paper shoot combination. I paid my money and waited until they had enough to make a group and went to shoot with 3 other gentlemen and had a great time until the shoot was over. I started getting a few hateful looks from a group of older guys and made me feel on edge. They started to announce the top shooters and I ended up winning by 2 points. Then the drama started unfolding. I could verbally hear the same group of guys grumbling how it was unfair an outsider comes in wearing street clothes and wins. Not like I cheated your club members kept score, I just shot. Then the kid in your group took to long to load and slowed you down in the heat and threw your shooting off. I wasn’t in the group with the kid but, maybe they could have assisted him and Offered positive advice (they might have). But hears my point- the sport is struggling to bring in new or even younger shooters as it is why make new people feel like manure because they came to your event and paid money to compete. Was It you thought I was a chump because I didn’t pack my period clothing for an event I didn’t plan on shooting in And ya thought I’d pad the winners pockets some more I get it, it paid Cash for prizes your club guys didn’t win. But to try And make me feel bad because I had a good day and took the prize moneys not cool. The events I go to welcome locally new people and go out of the way to make them feel welcome. I know this groups behavior is not normal for the muzzleloader community but it’s not the first time I have seen it through the US, as I’ve shot all over the county while in the service. For this sport to survive we need to not isolate anyone willing to participate especially woman and children.
I fell in love with rendezvous and shooting at 5 years old, I’ve been that kid Who’s struggling to load fast making sure I’m doing things safely, and in the proper order. I was there to enjoy the sport knowing I had no chance to compete with the adults but did it for the love of it. My dad was there making sure I was being safe but made me do it all on my own - surely wasn’t fast but I was thorough. The other shooters encouraged me and said it’s ok slow down take your time we are in no rush. I carry the patience they gave me throughout life and in the shooting world. You can be an ambassador to the sport or an embarrassment choice is yours. I am a big boy I can deal with it but that young man, might just quit altogether, I hope not I talked with him and said not everyone in the sports a jerk. He said he gets it all the time and feels no one wants him to shoot or be in the group with him because he’s a kid and slow. I told him I’d shoot with him anytime gave him my phone number and said he can call me anytime. I doubt other than for him I’d ever step foot in the that clubs events again but I have options that young man might not. if your the Ambassador type keep it up - if your the Embarrassment type check yourself and if ya don’t know which one you are your probably the later. Shoot straight and take a new person shooting.
Actually, that's pretty cool. A stranger rides into town (The Good the Bad and the Ugly music playing), grabs some breakfast at Delmonico's, then proceeds to outshoot the townsfolk and walks off with the prize money and the saloon girl. Everyone's upset and mutter; "who was that guy??" The town drunk struggles to his feet, pushes bad his hat, and says while rubbing his beard, "THAT was the lone Ranger-zdral".

Sounds like a baptist business meeting. Thats why I am a professing recovering baptist (no bettsie the Lord dont care what color the chairs are reupholstered in).

My advise (a bit of my recovery slipping) would be to be at each and every shoot and beat em until they asked you not to come back THEN tell the internet.

It’s not just muzzleloading, it’s everywhere. Several years ago I traveled out of state to a drag race with several of my racing buddies. The animosity shown toward us “out of state sob’s“ as one of them put it was surprising to say the least. I put a couple of them on the trailer before I got put out, I grinned all the way home.

Stupidity knows no bounds.

I use to shoot a lot of meat shoots when I was working in Northern VA and can tell you there will always be pouters and whiners no matter where you go, but when they start being mouthy because of kids trying their best I usually let the club pres know about it. I didn't see it very often, but it happens. You did good work with talking to that kid and encouraging him.

The first shoot I turned up to I was welcomed like a long lost brother , They all admired my rifle and all my kit , they asked about my shooting experience and helped me get started. We all became very good friends . Years later I realized that they were checking out the new guy to make sure he didn't shoot one of them 😃
God Save the King.

I know jerks and have had run-ins with several. I had one at a shooting range I belonged to come up to me as I was shooting saying, "I don't want to sound like an ass"..... Well he was one. I've had some of these jerks, most also know very little, do things that created a dangerous situation. Not just a few but several come to mind. Two of the club ranges I've belonged to had jerks as bothersome as a cloud of mosquitos. I was told by a couple of other shooters that I should have smacked them up side the head. The only time I've ever approached a shooter to mention the rules was at a range in Virginia. This yoyo with his black rifle (full auto) thought he was assaulting an ambush. The fool started at the firing line then moved down range a few yards at a time until he was right in front of the berm. I told him full auto was forbidden as was running up and down the range when others were trying to shoot and obey the rules.

Man, you are so right. I'm 74 and I've noticed that quite many older guys can really turn off the youngsters with their bad attitudes. It should always be about fun and friendship. I was at the SFTR Winter Survival Rendezvous back in Feb. A fella from Texas was visiting the group to look around. He asked if he had to be in period clothing to enter the shoot. My son who was the booshway, told him, all you have to do is pay the entry fee and you can shoot with everyone. hell, he was tickled and I believe even won a match or 2, and no one was upset about it. They made a new friend and he'll probably be back again.
We need more like YOU "rangerzdral".

I know jerks and have had run-ins with several. I had one at a shooting range I belonged to come up to me as I was shooting saying, "I don't want to sound like an ass"..... Well he was one. I've had some of these jerks, most also know very little, do things that created a dangerous situation. Not just a few but several come to mind. Two of the club ranges I've belonged to had jerks as bothersome as a cloud of mosquitos. I was told by a couple of other shooters that I should have smacked them up side the head. The only time I've ever approached a shooter to mention the rules was at a range in Virginia. This yoyo with his black rifle (full auto) thought he was assaulting an ambush. The fool started at the firing line then moved down range a few yards at a time until he was right in front of the berm. I told him full auto was forbidden as was running up and down the range when others were trying to shoot and obey the rules.
Hanshi, you always get the type that think they're Rambo, and don't know their a22 from a hole in the ground. Old saying my friend, "ya can't fix stupid".

Back