• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice about a crack in the stock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting my Traditions Ken. rifle kit finished up , and noticed this hairline crack in the stock near the comb/buttplate top. Did not see it or it wasn't there when I stained and oiled the stock. I added a little epoxy across the bottom of the "L" as there is also a very slight almost invisible crack on the other side in the same place. Any thing I can do at this point ? How bad is it likely to get once I start shooting the rifle ? Any advice or opinions ? -thanks

View attachment 134576
This is what I do all the time and have great success. I use acraglass from brownells. I mix it up spread it out on a piece of cardboard. Do a about a teaspoon full. Heat it up with a heat gun. (one they use to strip paint). It will get real runny and flow into cracks easily. It will dry a lot faster than normal. Another thing I would do on that crack (it looks like the area of the heel of the butt plate). Remove the butt plate and take a 1/8 drill and drill inside following the crack for about 1/4 inch length. Don't let the drill bit come out of the outer surface. Be very careful. Pull the bit out and turn the stock on end with butt up. Then clamp stock to something that keeps that position. HEAT the acra glass up until it gets watery and keep applying it with a small 1/16 dowel down into the drill hole. Let it run down the hole until it's full. Let it dry over night. ANOTHER thing I would just barely shave off some wood in that area where the crack started. There is some stress in that area that caused the crack in the beginning. BARELY SHAVE OR SCRAPE it off. There is more that can be done to hide the crack but that is another post. Basically using artist oil paint and micro dobbing only in the visible crack. After the paint completely dries then apply some light coats of finish. The trick is is to paint only in the visible crack line not on the wood. The paint must match the background of the wood. It takes a lot of time, but that crack can be hidden. I use a fine liner pen (from MOHAWK) to imitate the pores. I guess the main point is after all this, is heat the acra glass and it will get the consistency of water. It will penetrate really deep into the cracks. I hope this helps.

Cyanoacrylate Adhesive; AKA CA, AKA superglue, (don't know where the bold font came from).
Sounds like this stuff will do the job. I have an older stock with a crack in what I think is a non critical area. I would like to fix it but over the years some crud has migrated into the crack and made it a little darker than the rest. You can not catch your finger nail on it but it looks out of place. Any ideas on how I might clean this up before repair? All ideas welcome!

Just a rule of thumb. Longer it takes for glue to cure the better it adheres, the longer it lasts. Some glues dry so fast it doesn't have time to penetrate the wood to satisfaction. I try to heat the wood before gluing, even with a hair dryer.
Exactly. I don't trust anything that cures fast or instantly, which is why I don't use CA glues. A good long cure epoxy has never let me down on stock repairs or bedding actions.

Back