• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advantages of Which Types of Wood ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i see your point, some think it is just too much grain showing. you have to admit, it really jumps out at you. some people want a gun that get attention, quilted maple will get attention. saw a 1890/s marlin lever action rebuilt like new and quilted maple was used for the stock. it got attention.

Back in the day, and as to originals, quilted sugar maple existed, and there were some very high end pieces made back then, yet, to my knowledge, we don't seem to have any examples of them. High end pieces seemed to rely more on spectacular carving and inlays / engraving than eye-popping wood.

To my mind, you can either do spectacular decoration OR have great wood for the "eye candy" effect. To have BOTH on the same piece puts the two of them at odds in competing for eyeball attention.

We need a real art expert to weigh in here to explain things as to presentation.

If you make $50,000 a year then paying $1000 for a rifle is a lot of money. If you make $5,000,000 a year then $100,000 for a rifle is doable. $14,000 for wood isn't much.
The value of an object is the price it will bring.
when I was in the navy you couldn’t get a Cuban cigar in the US. I have two or three cigars a year, I truely enjoy my pipes. iin Australia where our boat stopped I went to a tobacco shop and got a thirty dollar Cuban cigar. Had to try it.
It was good, but not any better then an eight dollar Honduran.
If’n he thinks the wood is worth it it’s worth it, I can’t imagine it ever being worth it to me.
If I won the lottery I could see some five, ten , or might more k guns in my future 15 K for wood? I don’t think I could be bent that direction

Back