• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advantages of Which Types of Wood ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you make $50,000 a year then paying $1000 for a rifle is a lot of money. If you make $5,000,000 a year then $100,000 for a rifle is doable. $14,000 for wood isn't much.
how much better can a 14,000 piece of wood be than a 500.00 piece of wood be? in my humble opinion that is just foolish! but hey it is his money and he can throw it away, I mean "spend it" anyway he want's to. I just wish I were the one selling him the wood!

I've never used black walnut except as firewood. Around here if a black walnut tree is growing next to a stream the wood is much less desirable, and has a powerful, rather unpleasant odor. A tree growing up on a rocky hilltop has a much better quality, burning with greater heat, and markedly less odor!

how much better can a 14,000 piece of wood be than a 500.00 piece of wood be? in my humble opinion that is just foolish! but hey it is his money and he can throw it away, I mean "spend it" anyway he want's to. I just wish I were the one selling him the wood!

Guns, cars, boats, airplanes are all the same - doubling the price only buys an incremental increase in quality or performance. How much would a race driver consider spending to be just 2/10 sec faster on a lap? Particularly if that means the he is now the fastest by just 1/10. If someone wants the absolute best, it is going to cost a huge amount - and most of us could never tell the difference.

I once bought a German WWI rifle stamped 1916 the stock was stained brown. After stripping the stock and sanding it, I found out that I had a tiger striped maple stock. So much for European walnut.

Guns, cars, boats, airplanes are all the same - doubling the price only buys an incremental increase in quality or performance. How much would a race driver consider spending to be just 2/10 sec faster on a lap? Particularly if that means the he is now the fastest by just 1/10. If someone wants the absolute best, it is going to cost a huge amount - and most of us could never tell the difference.
totally two different things. 2/10 of a second can mean thousands of dollars in the finish of a race. nowadays a gun like that is a toy not a necessity. and not a money making or money losing race car. but like I said I wish I were the one selling him the wood! I wonder how much it coast the seller in the first place? I bet nowhere close to 14,000 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Often a rich man in a 10 million dollar house is being more frugal based on his income than one of us who upgrades to a double wide when a single wide trailer would do. Special wood is special wood and if two people have the money and want it it’s worth what they’ll pay for it.

A Kibler SMR with some of the tightest curl I’ve seen.

36C5CE46-4A20-4881-82B4-E2DECDE010C8.jpeg

totally two different things. 2/10 of a second can mean thousands of dollars in the finish of a race. nowadays a gun like that is a toy not a necessity. and not a money making or money losing race car. but like I said I wish I were the one selling him the wood! I wonder how much it coast the seller in the first place? I bet nowhere close to 14,000 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Not so different at all. Not all things can be measured by money. Personal satisfaction can be a highly valuable thing. Whether it is being able to say I did it by myself, or to know that one can finally have "the best" is many times more important to someone than money.

I for one would like to see what a $14,000 piece of maple actually looks like. I've seen $1200 maple blanks, and paid $850 for one.

A $14000 piece of maple is a $1000 piece of maple someone with an extra $13000 didn’t want to see go to the other guy, who only had an extra $12000....
exactly right! that is all it could possibly be. I wonder if that dog food company owner is in the market for a bridge, I have a really nice one I could let him have at a bargain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

remember guys and gals, it was not tiger stripe maple. nothing like. it it was quilted maple which is a whole another story as to figure. if you have never seed quilted maple from oregon, look it up, unbelievabe grain in the wood. his 14,000 dollar piece was from the thick lower crotch. even more figure down their. i did a stock from quilted maple, and it was the fanciest piece of wood i ever worked with.

I looked the quilted maple up, never saw that before. but to tell you the truth it ain't me. I like the tiger stripe better. I guess I ain't cultured enough to apprecheat it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back