• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding Wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Bess kit on order and would like to modify it to somewhat resemble a New England assembled gun. Since the stock comes inletted in places where I don't want inletting, has anyone sucessfully used a wood filler for this? I'm not concerned about wood discoloring as this is a re-enactors gun and should show some dings and wear.

The only way I can see wood fillers being used without sticking out like a sore thumb is if you paint the entire stock black.

IMO, if you want to use oil or something like it to finish the wood, there is no way you can make the filler look like it belongs there. :(

I agree with Zonie wood filler does not stain like wood does and sticks out like a sore thumb. The best thing to do is to fill in with real wood and then shape the way you want to. Try to get wood that has the same type of grain or at least goin the right direction if that is a factor. The splice marks can be darkened with a torch or darker stain to make marks that look natural yet will blend in the new wood and make it look like it was always there. If you get good at it like my gunsmith is you cannot tell where the new wood and old wood is unless you really really look for it I mean close up and even then it is tough.

Back