• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ADDING SOLDER TO LEAD FOR ROUND BALL CASTING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding solder to your lead for casting...I am currently using lead the is about 99.9% (very soft) and have some 50/50 and 95/5 solder lying around.....Can I add it to the melt for a more "solid" ball? I tried looking at older posts, but saw nothing directly related to this topic....Would love to hear everyones thoughts here.

Adding tin bearing solder to lead will raise the hardness of the metal. For unmentionable suppository guns a hard lead bullet is desirable as the bullet will deform less in the barrel and hold the rifling better. For muzzleloaders, there is no benefit, and a definite disadvantage as the balls will be harder to load.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding solder to your lead for casting...I am currently using lead the is about 99.9% (very soft) and have some 50/50 and 95/5 solder lying around.....Can I add it to the melt for a more "solid" ball? I tried looking at older posts, but saw nothing directly related to this topic....Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts here.
It will bump the diameter of your roundball up a few the thousands, and the harder roundball will be more difficult to load in cap and ball revolver, causing additional stress on loading lever components and frame. In a long gun or single shot pistol, no worries as long as you size the patch correctly. Just remember that if you try to pull a load for whatever reason, it will be a little more difficult for your ball puller to thread into the ball.

If you load a round ball in patch in a rifle then pull it out a look close at the ball you can see faint impressions of the cloth in the ball itself.
You want soft as possible to hold the ball and rifeling together.
Hard ball often won’t shoot as well and on cooling can be a tad bigger, so you go with a thinner patch. And then loose some accuracy as you add range
Or not
Some do real well with hard ball, and in a smoothie a little hard or oversize doesn’t hurt
The big thing about ml as there is no perfect load. Jim’s 50 five x can be an entirely different load then Bobs 50 five x
Run you fifty ball and see how you like it.

As little as 1% tin will make the lead flow better and fill out the mould without affecting hardness that you would notice. I've added a foot or so of 50-50 roll solder to 10 pounds of lead in the pot to get better casting with some molds, both ball and conicals. Antimony is used to harden bullets and bullet cores in jacketed bullets because of cost compared to tin. YMMV

Stay away from adding solder or any other hardening alloys to muzzleloader balls. Dead soft lead is best. If the cloth patch fabric weave is slightly imprinted into the lead ball where the lands touch the patched round ball , that's about perfect.

You can use the 50/50 solder in amounts that will result in a 30 or 40 tin to lead ratio with no noticeable effect on your round balls other than they will cast a little smoother and look a little shinier. Adding some 95/5 solder can make them a little harder. I haven't tried it so I can't speak from experience on the 95/5. I reserve it for casting nose caps on half stocks. Some folks are of the opinion that the harder balls will give full penetration on an animal and make for easier tracking etc,etc, which is a whole nuther discussion. Whitworth pretty well nailed it while I was typing this response. I buy all the 50/50 solder I find at yard sales since one of my few vices is shooting old cartridge rifles with cast bullets.

If i remember right the Bevel Brothers shot rifled muzzleloaders with soft balls and balls cast from wheel weights with no notable difference in accuracy. I hunt with a 20 ga. smoothie, so I am not worried about expansion.

Back