• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About decided on a rifle design school and a builder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado guy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am finally in a position to save money to fund the construction of a custom made flintlock Squirrel /Poor Boy/Shimmel rifle in .36 caliber, plain as can be, to shoot as often as possible for the rest of my natural life.

I think I have narrowed down the final design and chosen riflemaker to craft for me what will be a once in a lifetime purchase of a .36 caliber, flintlock Poor Boy/Shimmel/Southern/Tennessee Mountain Rifle, as plain as can be, maybe without even a buttplate to save money. I am partial to the above types, have less than $2000.00 to spend on such a rifle, but could put together about ~$1500-$1600 to fund the construction of said flinter squirrel rifle, perhaps modified from the basic offerings from Dillon’s, Martin Leigh, and Roy Stroh.

Mike Dillon and his company, Dillon’s Flintlocks, put together two of the top rifles on my list of five rifles that constitute my ideal of the Poor-Boy/Lehigh Shimmel Flintlock Squirrel Rifle. The Lehigh Shimmel and the Southern Mountain Rifle by Dillon’s Flintlocks are almost perfect as they come from this maker. I like the Lehigh Shimmel’s lack of a buttstock, as this is an added frill and accessory I wouldn’t need or want on my own personal squirrel rifle flinter. The Southern Mountain Rifle has a more ”˜Pointy” buttstock to me, but I like the way the bottom of the stock is at best, a mild curve, and the Lehigh Shimmel is even more straight at the bottom of the buttstock, reminiscent of the shape of the buttstock on the 1893/95/96 Mauser military rifles, of which I owned three of. The top has a more pronounced edge than the Lehigh Shimmel , but I like the shotgun shape of the buttstock better, it also feels better on my shoulder when I mount the rifle and when I’m shooting it too. I always preferred shotgun style buttstock on all my shoulder arms, and always will. They just work better for me.

The third rifle would be a simplification of the Bean Style rifle Dillon’s offers, but here again; it doesn’t need a buttstock, nose cap, toe plate, entry thimble, or a fancy stock or finish. Plain-Jane, Plain as can be, but still functional and accurate.

The other two possibilities are the Martin Leigh Shimmel rifle, and a Poor Boy style from Roy Stroh. I like the Leigh Shimmel rifle, but the extreme French style drop off of the comb, and the inward-downward curve of the butt itself I don’t care for one bit, that would have to change to a more conventional style of shotgun buttstock like the Dillon rifles. Roy Stroh also has made Southern Mountain Rifles and Poor Boy’s I am interested in, but a rifle from him would have to have no buttstock, a shotgun shaped buttstock wood on the butt, double set triggers like the two Dillon Flintlocks rifles, and all furniture browned iron or steel, shape to be determined by what is possible on the Stroh Rifles, or what I ask can be done, or a combination of both.

I guess I could deal with a 38” to 44” barrel, but it still feels too long for me, and I would prefer a 36”-38” barrel if it could be swamped and fitted to the existing stocks and furniture available. Apparently swamping changes the feel of a long rifle, and if it can be made to work for me in and old school style, then so be it-a long barrel it is.

I don’t need fancy wood, or a fancy rubbed finish on the wood or metal of any rifle I would have made, or make myself. My Flintlock Squirrel Rifle will be a tool, used as such, and used more than once daily to be sure. It will get dings and dents and scratches-I guarantee it. Dixie Browning Solution, Birchwood Casey Plum Brown barrel finish, or any similar plain simple to use barrel finish material would be my choice(s) for browning the barrel. Same for the stock-Dixie Stain for Antique Guns, Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut or Laurel Mountain Forge Cherry stain would also be my choices for staining the stock of my squirrel rifle.

As for caliber, I’ve settled on .36 for reasons of economy of powder and lead. 200 shots at 35 grains per shot, and 107 balls to the pound of lead. .36 can use 000 buckshot, and it is useful on squirrels, rabbits, small game generally, and I have known several young women who can take the head off a robin or a crow or marmot at 50 yards all the live long day, and they say with practice I can do that too. This is a small game/varmint rifle as well as for fun shooting it just because it’s a flintlock squirrel rifle and is cheap to shoot, so there.

I am writing to Mike Dillon, Roy Stroh, Martin Leigh, and asking how much they each would charge to make me a flintlock plain rifle without any frills, plain as can be, that will still work daily, day after day, for years into the future as a working tool.

Advice and comments as always.

Do you mean "no buttplate" when you say " no buttstock"? A gun without a buttstock is a pistol, I think.

In regards to your decision, it seems like personal preference to me as I am not sure many will know those makers or their specific models inany detail. I'd make sure the gun will fit you. If you can't get to see something similar in person I would send the builder the dimensions of a gun you have that fits you well. Length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel.

I am not sure what what you want when you list 4 or 5 stains which are quite different in color. What color are you looking for? Right now it sounds like you have not yet nailed down what you want. Several makers, different barrel lengths, various styles. I would not rush into it until you have a clearer idea of what you want..

I don't recommend a muzzleloader without a butt plate of some kind.

Without a metal plate to protect it the wood will get badly beat up over the years.
This can not only scar the butts surface but large pieces of wood have been known to break off while it is being loaded.

Same goes for the toe plate.
This reinforces the wood right where it is most likely to break.

Although most of the guns in the period you are thinking of had narrow butts and deeply curved buttplates there are a lot of buttplates that represent older periods when flat plates were more common. Even shotgun butt plates are available if those are to your liking.

What zonie said, a Ml needs a butt plate, even if it's just a flat piece a steel formed to fit you. The ground is very unforgiving to long rifles. Get the plate. ...Tom

When you say martin leigh schimmel do you mean Allen Martin Lehigh Schimmel? That big roman nose you describe is certainly appropriate in a lehigh, you can always shave it down a bit. Like said before, unless the grain is just right, without a buttplate you can get into trouble in a hurry. Less likely to do so with a buttplate. A strap trigger guard and a simple buttplate can still give it the poor boy appearance.

If you want a Lehigh, there is no better builder than Allen Martin, unless you reincarnate one of the Rupps. :wink: There are other makers who just might be as good - but I've never seen anyone better.

That is not a knock on anyone else. Eric Kettenberg, Mark Wheland, Roy Stroh, and others build beautiful guns, but Allen has made his reputation with the Lehigh, although he branches out in other areas as well.

Ive been making them for a few years now and would love to make a squirrel rifle for somebody. I would whole heartedly recommend some kind of buttplate as butt is exposed to dings and dirt over the years. Even if its just sheet metal filed flush and nailed on. Its something.

Tn "bean" rifle.....and yes, what others are saying....buttplate needed.......toeplate too i think...but heh~it's your choice...each to there're own!

heck, i even think Paris Hilton is pretty..... :youcrazy: :stir:

Tom Knight said:
She is pretty, the lights are on---but nobodies home... :stir:

that's ok......i would just want to sneak in the door without anybody knowing anyhow..... :rotf:

WAY off topic~ but fun!!!!!!!! :youcrazy: :blah:

If'n I were you, I'd zero in on a specific LR and then go to various builders for their opinions and prices. As was said, you haven't yet decided on exactly what you want.

Also not including a buttplate is "penneywise and a pound foolish".....especially w/ the Southern guns.

This is a "fun time" in buying a LR, but specific decisions have to be made eventually.

Good luck on your quest.....Fred

There are plenty of original guns that have survived just fine with no butt plate. If you have a hard piece of wood and shape the butt right it shouldn't be a problem unless you do a lot of reloadin on concrete or gravel.

Back