• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A weaponized camp axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaBonte

Passed On
Reaction score
My late friend and collaborator, Gib Guignard, forged this fine little camp axe for me many moons ago from a hammer head. I used it frequently as shop axe for rough shaping as well as for routine camp chores. Unfortunately due to the wages of time on my poor old bod, I set it aside until one day I took a fresh loolk at it and the following is what it became.
I added a bit of file work to the head and then gussied up the red ocher and bear grease stained hickory handle with a rawhide grip, brass tacks, and a beaded and hawk belled horsetail drop. It then sat around for a while since I "felt" something was missing. Then on my way home from town (Durango, CO) one day I stopped for a breather at pull out along the Animas River. While walking around I spied this piece of drift wood and it the light bulb of inspiration went off. I took it home, added a small forked piece of antler to hold the handle up, oiled the wood up, then added some brass tacks, and beaded dangles with tin cones and mule hair tufts.
c-r40-1.jpg

LaBonte that's a great looking axe. :thumbsup: Question: How long are the shanks on those tacks? I assume you drill a pilot hole, yes? Thanks.

Sorry to be slow responding but I got smacked down by the flue.... :cursing:
and glad you enjoyed the look see
MorningMan said:
LaBonte that's a great looking axe. :thumbsup: Question: How long are the shanks on those tacks? I assume you drill a pilot hole, yes? Thanks.
Generally I trim the shanks to about 3/8"- 1/2" or so - I just eyeball it. If I leave them full length I still trim off the pointed head whihc is and old carperenter trick to help keep the wood from splitting.
Sometimes I pre-drill, other times I've got and old round awl blade with the point blunted and just make a starter hole.

Thanks for the response and hope you are feeling much better. I'm working on my first basic hawk that I received as a Christmas gift from my dear wife (the British pattern from TOTW). I've fitted the head and finished the handle but would like to add a few tacks, but that hickory is hard and I don't want to split it. Thanks for the good tips and get well soon! :thumbsup:

flue huh what yer smokey ol butt drifting up the chimmney now like Santa clause hehe, hope yer feelen better Chuck. :blah:

Back