• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Bullet ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in the late 1800's my property was a working farm with cattle. I actually met the old man who's grandparents owned the land and found out the timeline of when they left and when the original homestead was torn down which was the late 1920's. Only the chimney brick pile remains. I have a good metal detector and my wife and I have enjoyed exploring with it. While we find mostly junk and lots of nails (the norm) we have also found axe heads, files, odd tools, table ware, horse tack, buckles, old leather shoes, turn of the last century shotgun brass, and a few marbles. No coins yet. We also located the family dump about 100 yrds down the hill from the home site. We have dug hundreds of bottles, tin & porcelain mason jar lids, all kinds of stuff. But nothing earlier or later than when they lived there.

The only older bullet I've found is pictured and hope someone recognizes what it is. Sorry to say I never measured the base, but I will when I get back to the camp, but I'm fairly sure it's larger than .50 cal.
The find that I think is the neatest so far is the lead nipple protector. I found it in what's now my pasture, I also found a number of pieces of horse tack when first plowing up a new garden spot several years ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3892.JPG
    IMG_3892.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3889.JPG
    IMG_3889.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3890.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3891.JPG
    IMG_3891.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like the CVA Deerslayer bullet to me. This one is a 54 cal 375 grain, but there were heavier 425 gran bullets I believe. It does have a hollow base

If not, it is in that style...see the cross hatch on the bullet.

deerslayer.jpeg
bullet2.jpeg

Last edited:
If it is any consolation, they don't make those bullets anymore....so if you can hold out, say another 100 years or so, you will have quite a find!

Back