• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Texas Made Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm the proud new owner of a fine percussion fullstocked rifle that was made by Chris Hirsch from Houston Texas. Chris has been at the forefront of being one of his great states best representatives pertaining to history, culture, music, and best of all, the muzzle loading rifle! Author of the book, "The Texas Gun Trade" is just one of his many accomplishments. Not being a Texan, Texican, or whatever you folks like to call yourself, I have to admit to having a great interest and deep respect for your history and your strong ties that come from it. A few pictures of my rifle which is in 54 caliber, and has proven itself to be quite a tack driver at my shooting range. http://www.chrishirsch.com/
P1030086_zps3tvayq5b.jpg
P1030087_zps2dh8vdam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Texas and have never heard of him or his talents, he does make fine looking rifle.

NICE RIFLE.

Fwiw, we are "officially" called TEXICANS, as a result of an 1838 act of the Republic of Texas Congress & which spelling has never been changed.

According to period documents of the RoT, "Texican" rhymes with more words than "Texan". = Aside from "Mexican" & "Lexicon", I cannot think of any other such words.
(Our Texas politicians have always been, "just a bit peculiar". = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Fwiw, we are "officially" called TEXICANS, as a result of an 1838 act of the Republic of Texas Congress & which spelling has never been changed.
Boy, you should hear what they are called around here.

Spence

Probably more polite names than we Texicans are commonly called in "DY-land", some of which would get me permanently banned by "management", if I posted what I used to routinely hear our folks called in "KNEW YAWK" & up the Atlantic coast to ME.
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

"The Texas Gun Trade".

I did a quick search on Barnes and Noble for the book and could not find it, any ideas where to find it?

We were talking in Brady at the TMLRA shoot in June and it seems no one has a complete collection of contemporary M/L made in Texas.

I have a modest start.

Who can share in sight on Texas M/Ls?

Jeez that's some drop at comb. Interesting, nice for what it is, and coolish even.

satx78247 said:
NICE RIFLE.

According to period documents of the RoT, "Texican" rhymes with more words than "Texan". = Aside from "Mexican" & "Lexicon", I cannot think of any other such words.
(Our Texas politicians have always been, "just a bit peculiar". = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx
About all I can add to what you Texas folks like to be called, comes from a brief bit of dialog that came from the mouth of Crazy Cora in the movie Quigley Down Under. It was the WAY she said TEXICAN that got me aroused.

Being interested in your NICE rifle, I contacted Chris Hirsch by email & his response was POLITE but quite firm that he has NOT built a ML in 20+ years & doesn't have time to build rifles any more. - He said that he ONLY restores antiques now.

NICE GUY though!!

yours, satx

Thanks for your efforts and letting us know, another dream shattered on the horizon.

WELCOME. - Fyi, as a native-born Texican, I had visions of a Texas-built LH flinter (of the "Plain Jane" variety) of the circa 1820-30
period.
("Better luck, next go-round", said I to self.)

yours, satx

Yes, Satx, I also talked to Chris quite some time ago and he told me that my rifle was most likely built in the mid 80's. He did a lot of building in those days including a presentation rifle that he gave and hand delivered to President Ronald Reagan. If you look about the internet his work is out there and can be had if you are persistent. There is currently a pistol that he made up for sale over on Track of the Wolf. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/490/1/AAN-827 As you will most likely find, his muzzle loaders don't come cheap. To find a rifle in left hand may also be quite a challenge. Best of luck to you....Joel

Last edited by a moderator:
Back