• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A source of LIGHT-WEIGHT smooth barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintkeeper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well Gentlemen, you have been great!

But here is another question:

where could one get a lightweight (steel?) smooth barrel, sort of like ones they used for muskets back in the days?

Is there a source for similar barrels for pistols?

Thanks in advance!
All the best,
Flintfan.

:thanks:

You have the choice of cheaper "tubing barrels" and more expensive machined barrels. Round is harder to find than octagon to round, which seems more popular. I've ordered a round 12 ga barrel 48" long from Ed Rayl with about 6 months lead time. Commercially you sould check with Davis Trading company, Log Cabin Shop, Track of the Large Wild Canine, or with Barbie Chambers (doubtful on a round barrel but she could direct you). One source is northstarwest with trade gun barrels to 41".
northwest

Thanks Rich!

Actually, I have no preference so far: tubing barrels are also good for me as long as they are STRONG.

What is the difference?

Thanks again! :thanks:

Flintfan

tubing generally means a cold-rolled precision tube (or "hollow bar" if the walls are over a certain thickness) with no welded seam (unlike the stuff they use for steel furniture and the like)

machined is a solid bar of metal thats drilled through the middle then milled and/or turned on the outside to the right profile

I have a 20g smoothbore that has a light thin-walled barrel which came from the Mold & Gun Shop. I don't know who made their barrels, but it might be worth a call.

Thanks Benvenuto and Sqirejohn!
Also, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the barrels I was looking for: light AND tapered.

If you think of any other sources please let me know, I would certainly appreciate any input.
Cheers!
All the best,

Flintfan.

Try Getz, Colerain, Rayl, or Rice. These guys all have the best barrels on the market. They'll make anything you want.

I got a nice half octagon barrel from Jack Garner, Tennessee Valley Mfg. and fitted it to a T/C Penn Hunter flintlock. Complete gun with underrib, ramrod and all goes 6 pounds one ounce and I'd not want it any lighter. That is a 32" barrel in what Jack calls 28 gage but actuall bore is .560". He also has 24 and 20 gage.
Jack's barrels are tubing and, contrary to popular belief, "seamless tubing" is not seamless, there is a clearly visible seam down the bore. While that is not a popular idea, the general consensus is that they are plenty strong and barrels have been made that way since very early times. If I recall correctly I believe it cost about $140 with breechplug installed. It shoots birdshot and .535" ticking patched balls over a fiber wad just fine. ::

there USED to be precision cold rolled seamless tube available here in australia - its a long time ago, but I went on a school excursion to the factory and saw them making it. I think the drilled a hole in a steel block and then extruded it out to 5 or 6 metres long. The final rolling was done cold and you ended up with a very nice looking bit of tube. Apparently the main use was in the defense/aerospace sector.
But like I said, they don't make it anymore... at least here...

Check with Pecatonia and TOW both places have smoothbore barrels and some of what they sell are Pedersoli barrels some Colerain

No some of the smoothbore barrels my understanding made by Pedersoli and some of them are from Colerain. Some of the kits TOW sells will have there brand barrel they are not all Colerain :front:

Back