• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little lathe time today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waarp8nt

Smidgin Injun
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
Took a little time to work on a lathe project today.

The part with the roll pin was a previous project, made to be a hollow base pin for an older Lyman 45 cal mold.

The other project is a new drum for a caplock to flintlock conversion on a Jukar Colonial Pistol. These are halfway made like a patent breech, all wrapped up in a drum though. Odd shaped drum in my opinion it would be better suited for a bleeder on a brake caliper. Anyway, purchased a bolt from the local farm store in 10mmx1.25 threads. Cut off both ends, trued them up and cut the angle for the far side of the drum. I will drill the flash hole and hole that goes the the barrel. My 1/16 drill bit eluded me all morning. Will post pictures when done.

20240427_100451.jpg

Last edited:
If ignition is poor, you might want to drill the vent hole bigger and tap for vent liner.
That tiny cross hole looks small.

Your right, I may have to drill a larger hole. Done a little research here on the forum and found 1/16 to be a common small flash hole so that's what I used. Used it rather gently so it didn't break while drilling.

I like the vent liners and that's what I prefer. I was a little hesitant to drill one into the 10mm bolt used for the drum/vent. Wasn't sure about threads on top of threads or how small vent liners were made. I use vent liners on my rifles, feel very comfortable drilling and tapping them directly into the barrel.

Your right, I may have to drill a larger hole. Done a little research here on the forum and found 1/16 to be a common small flash hole so that's what I used. Used it rather gently so it didn't break while drilling.

I like the vent liners and that's what I prefer. I was a little hesitant to drill one into the 10mm bolt used for the drum/vent. Wasn't sure about threads on top of threads or how small vent liners were made. I use vent liners on my rifles, feel very comfortable drilling and tapping them directly into the barrel.
Drill it out to 5/64 and forget the vent liner they are over rated by a long shot ,you we’ll never wear out just the hole .I wish I had a lath I would take out my vent liner and do what you have done 😉.

If ignition is poor, you might want to drill the vent hole bigger and tap for vent liner.
That tiny cross hole looks small.

Drill it out to 5/64 and forget the vent liner they are over rated by a long shot ,you we’ll never wear out just the hole .I wish I had a lath I would take out my vent liner and do what you have done 😉.

Wind calmed down late yesterday. I put a couple of shots through it right before dark, late enough I didn't want to shoot too much, just needed to hear it go bang. I believe I will go up a drill size as preventive maintenance.

Wind calmed down late yesterday. I put a couple of shots through it right before dark, late enough I didn't want to shoot too much, just needed to hear it go bang. I believe I will go up a drill size as preventive maintenance.
Nothing wrong with going a little larger than 1/16", I have a couple that drilled to 5/64". On one I got improved ignition, on the other I didn't. So just be cautious and don't overdo it. It's hard to put the metal back around the hole!

Back