• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Good Source For 'Quality' ready-Made, Primitive Bowie Knives?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way, stuff made there is just cut from stock, not hand forged, I read they are mostly all fake, I had a friend who bought one and it was absolute junk.

Something not modern looking, not fancy, with an aged finish having forged marked flats, something of the period (19th century).
Just for the record, forging does nothing to improve steel. Only in the case of a radical curve in a blade design would it have any effect. In most cases, hand forging is simply the choice of shaping a maker might prefer. To be HC/PC, there would be no forge marks in the flats, unless possibly made by a farmer or home owner that had a forge. In either case, it is doubtful many would choose a Bowie design to make. What did your source say was "FAKE". Research and buy quality.
No dice...

He only does stock removal blades.
icon_nixweiss.gif

If you can look at a blade, and determine for fact it was hand forged by it's appearance, it would be a poorly made blade. Otherwise, there is no difference, except it seems stock removers often pay more attention to proper heat treating.
Thank you Wick. I'm one of those deplorable "Stock removers" I haven't held a forge hammer in 38 years, but my HT is pretty darned good, ask my customers. Blessings to those who know!
God bless:
Two Feathers

Does anyone know of somebody who has top-quality, (no matter the cost), hand-forged primitive Bowie knives, in stock?

I can't seem to find anyone who will make one for me so I have no choice but to buy ready-made.
icon_nixweiss.gif

Thanks in advance...
If you have facebook you might look a guy 'Nick Skinner' and PM him.
He can make just about anything you want; blade length, shape, handle, even does some nice D-handles.
It is pricey (aprox $400 up depending) and he has a waiting list - last I heard he is backed up to Fall.
Here is a group from his page

Attachments

• Nick Skinner.jpg
    Nick Skinner.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 99
I ag
FWIW, every one of the odd-dozen Paki sources knives I used wouldn't hold and edge worth a darn.

The heat-treating seems to run from iffy to non-existent.

I gave up, and re-handled a couple of commercial bowie's

CG060VUm.jpg
PLtDOnwm.jpg

Then, I also bought one from a fellow forum member (T Y, Undead Poet ! )

czPu9Blm.jpg

ree with you. Pakistan, Chinese, about the same quality .... bad to really piss poor.

Yeah how long ago though? In the last 5 years the quality has come way up. As come way up. The Damascus stuff is so hard that it is difficult to even sharpen.
If it's that difficult to sharpen, either it's not Damascus, or as said before heat treatment was manure....period!

Last edited:
You might try DeLaRonde Forge. Joe D. makes several styles of Bowie and he forges a fine knife. You can find his work at delarondeForge.com. Used to be I'd also recommend Prairie Elk Forge in Montana, but sadly the owner passed and the forge is shut down now.

Just for the record, forging does nothing to improve steel. Only in the case of a radical curve in a blade design would it have any effect. In most cases, hand forging is simply the choice of shaping a maker might prefer. To be HC/PC, there would be no forge marks in the flats, unless possibly made by a farmer or home owner that had a forge. In either case, it is doubtful many would choose a Bowie design to make. What did your source say was "FAKE". Research and buy quality.
I don't want to stray off the topic but Inferior blade steels available for one.

They simply cut the knife design from a piece of 'stock' metal and shape it, polish and sharpen it to look like a knife then install grips along with there being no quality control.

I had this discussion with Jake at AG Russell knives a while ago, they confirmed what I had already known from my own actual experience with said knives made there, I just want to find someone who has what I'm looking for...

He can make just about anything you want; blade length, shape, handle, even does some nice D-handles.
It is pricey (aprox $400 up depending) and he has a waiting list - last I heard he is backed up to Fall.
I put 'Nick Skinner' in the member search and it comes up "The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name."
icon_confused.gif

I put 'Nick Skinner' in the member search and it comes up "The specified member cannot be found. Please enter a member's entire name."
icon_confused.gif
I think MadL said to contact him on Face Book? I don't get involved with FB so I don't know anything about it? Just my $0.02.
God bless:
Two Feathers

To be totally honest, I'd like to have a matching spike head tomahawk made to match the Bowie as well but I'd settle for just the Bowie if that's the most I can get...

I don't want to stray off the topic but Inferior blade steels available for one.

They simply cut the knife design from a piece of 'stock' metal and shape it, polish and sharpen it to look like a knife then install grips along with there being no quality control.

I had this discussion with Jake at AG Russell knives a while ago, they confirmed what I had already known from my own actual experience with said knives made there, I just want to find someone who has what I'm looking for...

Any reputable knife maker is tempering the blade after shaping etc., and it depends on the steel involved and the heat treat what you end up with.
I don't know if knives made from files qualify for you but they make damn good knives, along with spring steel from a lot of sources.
But if all you want is hammer marks thats OK as well, whatever floats your boat.

I think I got it now, got a couple of PMs from a few knife-making members here...
icon_yes.gif

French Colonial:
I heat treat all my blades AFTER I cut, profile and bevel grind them. My hardness is right around RC-56-58. I know it's darn near impossible to drill through one of my blades with a solid carbide bit. I know that from experience and 55 years of knife making!
I'm with you, if all that matters are hammer marks then more power to ya.' There's a ton of guys out there who will hammer the manure out of a blade for you, BUT...does that make it a great blade OR just a blade with hammer marks on it for show?
I'm with Wick on all of this, HE knows his PC knives!
God bless:
Two Feathers

That's what I'm being told so far, it'll be a minimum of 4 months wait, maybe longer.

I tried Facebook, I get numerous matching names but none specific with that picture.

Is there a direct link to his Facebook page?

I really like that green coffin-handled Bowie in the pic...

That's what I'm being told so far, it'll be a minimum of 4 months wait, maybe longer.

I tried Facebook, I get numerous matching names but none specific with that picture.

Is there a direct link to his Facebook page?

I really like that green coffin-handled Bowie in the pic...
Okay, his FB user is: nick.skinner.946179

He also has a website (many photos and contact info):
South Mountain Forge
He is in Nova Scotia
www.southmountainforge.ca

Hope that helps...back shirt making

Back