• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A convert or two to the dark side perhaps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went shooting with a group of friends a week ago Sunday. We shot a lot of unmentionables, but that isn't what this post is about.
I asks her "care to try the muzzle-loader?" She says yes. She grins from ear to ear when it go boom. I load again and let her husband have a go. Same grin.
A little while (and several shots) later, I mention the Pirate pistol (actually just a CVA percussion pistol) Both give approving grins and shooting it more than once. She by now is giving him that I want one look.
Realizing he is ex army and as crazy as I I ask if he is a recoil junkie. He smiles and acknowledges such so I load the trusty rifle with a max load with a Thompson Center 370 grain Maxi hunter slug. To be fair I warned him it would punch. However his grin was larger than his home state of Texas so I let him have another.

He has inherited a cap and ball revolver. He thinks its a 44 Remington. We are going to get together and examine it so I can teach him to load and fire it.

Mission accomplished

Good work on the possible converts. Done that a few times. Last spring our niece and her husband, both Army and under thirty, came for a visit. They loved the old mil-surp bolt actions and single-action revolvers, so different from their training. But they absolutely lit up with the BP guns: rifles, C&B revolvers, and a 45-70 Rolling Block using BP cartridges. The smiles never left their faces. To my surprise, they enjoyed the slower, more deliberate pace of shooting MLs. When we stopped shooting for the day they had a million questions: history, loading specifics, maintenance, etc.

These are impressive young people and we enjoyed their visit. I sent them home with an old CVA percussion rifle, a Pietta Colt 1851 and the means and tools to feed and maintain them. Word is the guns are getting a good amount of use. I suspect there is a flintlock in their future.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back