• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A controversial topic...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never smelled Ballistol. Now PB blaster, that stuff has a scent. Anyone who turns wrenches has probably smelled it a time or two. It stinks, but like diesel, it grows on you after a while.

Personally, I prefer the smell of cosmolene over all of them.

It’s okay. I’ve gotten used to it. If that bothers you, then the manly essence of Hoppes #9 will probably upset you too. I’m sorry, they don’t make gun oils In lavender or potpourri. Maybe you’d be happier collecting dolls.

[and all that is tongue in cheek. Balistol is good stuff. It has an odor. I deal with that because it’s good. ]

Last edited:
It’s okay. I’ve gotten used to it. If that bothers you, then the manly essence of Hoppes #9 will probably upset you too. I’m sorry, they don’t make gun oils In lavender or potpourri. Maybe you’d be happier collecting dolls.

[and all that is tongue in cheek. Balistol is good stuff. It has an odor. I deal with that because it’s good. ]

Well that was unnessecary

Well that was unnessecary
I chuckled at his comment. He did say it was TIC.
1689953715623.jpeg

Could have teken/read it out of context, I just know the reference to Barbi dolls etc would have ruffled my feathers. And today I identify as a Blue Jay so feather placement is important to me. Time I mind my own business. I am not a cop/moderator or wife. Sorry.🙄
I really full on laughed about the “collecting dolls” part. I literally have the vast majority of G.I. Joe dolls and accessories I owned as a kid. Back when they were full size dolls and not ‘action figures’. Now I’m thinking; how cool would it be to come up with some PC clothing, ML, and accoutrements to fit one of those…. HMMM 🤔

Ballistol...1st whiff reminded me of old, wet, dirty socks left forgotten in the corner of the laundry room. Then a more industrial, solvent sort of odor also came through. But hey; it works.

Now when it comes to the "Farm" smells, as a kid I earned all my spending money working on farms in N.W. Iowa. Cattle, hogs, chickens, yep; they all stink. But nothin', and I mean nothin, will get me gagging like the rotten straw in the barn pens during lambing season.

Ballistol is a great product I use it frequently. It is great for any piece that needs cleaning. It protects well also.
I was weaned on Hoppe’s #9 though. That smell takes me back. Lots of memories.
I have a quart of it right next to ballitol.
Can’t stop using my Hoppes #9. It still works.

And there should be a man’s cologne of Hoppe’s #9

I just used ballistol this morning and I had to put the rag outside as the smell was permeating the air. It works well but not crazy for the smell.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I’m a fan of ballistol aroma. But I also love the smell of skunk 🦨. Not the strong smell of a skunk just the faint smell.
I live in a college town with a few student houses in the neighborhood. Once in awhile there is a real skunk who has been known to dig his way in under my fence but mostly that 'skunk smell' are the "4/20" kids in the neighborhood!!;)

Ballistol is a great product I use it frequently. It is great for any piece that needs cleaning. It protects well also.
I was weaned on Hoppe’s #9 though. That smell takes me back. Lots of memories.
I have a quart of it right next to ballitol.
Can’t stop using my Hoppes #9. It still works.

And there should be a man’s cologne of Hoppe’s #9
Hoppes DOES take me back to helping my dad clean guns after we’d go shooting.

Yep, WD-40 isn't bad at all.
By now everyone knows WD-40 is not suitable for guns as it leaves a residue which builds up and over time jams things up. Long-time gunsmiths will tell you that shotguns in particular get sticky and jam because of use of the WD. One of the major gun magazines recently had a column on this, I think it was Shooting Times, stating that WD should be no where near guns. It displaces water; it's not a lube like Ballistol.

Back