• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

777 powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan gumtow

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple of pounds of 777 fffg powder.can I use this in my Italian made Hawkins style bp percússion rifle . 45 caliber.if so what is the best load in grains with a 440 round ball

Hi, I have a couple of pounds of 777 fffg powder.can I use this in my Italian made Hawkins style bp percússion rifle . 45 caliber.if so what is the best load in grains with a 440 round ball
It may work just fine, keep the breech really clean and when loading rap the side of the barrel after you drop the powder charge before you ram the ball home. The idea is to settle the powder into the breech and under the cone. Triple 7 has roughly the same “power” as Swiss powder. 40 grains or so measured by volume might be a good place to begin.

Currently my favorite sub. 777 comes in 2F and 3F, I only use 2F for all but shotgun and if not using my stash of 1F use in in my 20GA. Black MZ was THE BEST. Cuz it worked so well and was cheap they discontinued it.

The name 777 gives you a clue. Whatever weight powder charge you would use of Holy Black, multiply that weight by .777 and that is the weight of Triple Seven that is equivalent. If loading by volume (not weight), volumetric equivalent is a little more powerful than Holy Black, approximately 10-15%.

ADK Bigfoot

It may work just fine, keep the breech really clean and when loading rap the side of the barrel after you drop the powder charge before you ram the ball home. The idea is to settle the powder into the breech and under the cone. Triple 7 has roughly the same “power” as Swiss powder. 40 grains or so measured by volume might be a good place to begin.
Thank you

I like 777, I find it to be a bit better than Pyrodex. I also get a higher first shot ignition rate with 777 over other BP subs, so I use it to hunt. Pyrodex is cheaper, and I use it when I'm at the range.

Latest posts

Back