• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7 Tips to Ensure Your Flintlock will work better.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rod bounces on a lead ball also.
Your pan charger is set at 1 grain, why did you hit yours 2-3 times.
I use a rev war British warrant charger. Made for a Bess, it fill my pan half way, which is just right.

One thing that bugs the snot out of me is that so many don't have the sense to clean and OIL the lock a bit. A little oil once in awhile goes a long way.

Absolutely, that Lock should be carefully removed after a day of shooting and any BP residue wiped off with a damp cloth, then dried and lightly oiled, I dont like to spray WD40 et al over Firearms, because it runs everywhere. A cheap plastic handled narrow brush with a little light Sewing machine oil will do the job nicely.
Remember to work the moving parts carefully and let the oil seep in, Fun tip; always keep a dummy "Flint" (wooden) in the Cock jaw when your not actually firing the ML, that way you can dry "fire" whenever and the Lock is protected in the case of unintended use, so long as the Frizzen is moved down over the Pan.

The rod bounces on a lead ball also.
Your pan charger is set at 1 grain, why did you hit yours 2-3 times.
I use a rev war British warrant charger. Made for a Bess, it fill my pan half way, which is just right.
My old primer is finicky. Sometimes it dispenses on the 1st try & other times it doesn't.
I like the pan 1/2 to 3/4 full too. It doesn't take much to get my guns to fire.
Thanks for watching......

Old toothbrushes, especially those made for electric toothbrushes or children, are great for cleaning the in and around the lock after a day's shooting. I generally rinse and scrub my locks under warm water, gently scrub with a toothbrush, shake them dry and spray the innards with WD-40. The next day, I oil them (with ATF), wipe off the excess, and reinstall them on the gun. Hope this works for you as well!

Those pan chargers can be problematic. I suspect much of the problem comes from the fact they are loaded with 4Fg most of the time, and that stuff isn't graphite coated. On humid days it clumps up readily.

Old toothbrushes, especially those made for electric toothbrushes or children, are great for cleaning the in and around the lock after a day's shooting. I generally rinse and scrub my locks under warm water, gently scrub with a toothbrush, shake them dry and spray the innards with WD-40. The next day, I oil them (with ATF), wipe off the excess, and reinstall them on the gun. Hope this works for you as well!
Yep..pretty much do the same thing.
I use drop or two of fresh WD-30 motor oil on my locks instead.

Those pan chargers can be problematic. I suspect much of the problem comes from the fact they are loaded with 4Fg most of the time, and that stuff isn't graphite coated. On humid days it clumps up readily.
You are right. Since it rained almost all day, I had a difficult time using 4F on New Years Day last year.
I switched to 3F ..problem solved.

Back