• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7 Tips to Ensure Your Flintlock will work better.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also drill out the internal opening a tad with a numbered drill to reduce clogging. I'd have done that to mine except the brass body was split along its length and found other means of dispensing priming powder.

Last edited:
I rarely go were I can get free wipes and eyeglass cleaner is expensive; I just carry a small plastic jar with some rubbing alchohol. Problem might be finding the right jar for the job (one that wont leak) but once you do just toss a few cleaning patches in it (I use cotton t-shirt).
I usually use my shirt and finger to wipe the flint but after xx number of shots you can feel the crud building on bottom of flint, pull out an alcohol wipe and done, and I usually just put it back in the jar and use until black.

I too, as another said, remove and clean the Lock every outing. Only takes a moment and if you don't over tighten there should be no problem. I however use Hopps #9 on the lock, manually work it in, lay it upside down overnight to drain, one last wipe off before recounting it after barrel too drained upside down overnight.
My theory: Clean a little each time and dont have to Clean a lot once in a while...my locks seem to love me fore it and treat me right.

BTW: B P Maniac Shooter - Love your videos!

Most ways work as long as you do them. Hell, there are guys enjoying insist on using bore butter to lube it and clean with. Thick. If I use that manure, my gun turns orange. I like Turkey Tracks to clean and Balistol to lube. Do what works for you.

Happy Resurrection Day.
I'll leave you with some tips to ensure your flintlocks will work better.
Please share this with your friends that is new into flintlock shooting.
I'll be back in a few weeks...

Thanks Mark. This helped a lot. I am still itching to shoot my 16 gauge flintlock smoothbore with you someday.

Absolutely, that Lock should be carefully removed after a day of shooting and any BP residue wiped off with a damp cloth, then dried and lightly oiled, I dont like to spray WD40 et al over Firearms, because it runs everywhere. A cheap plastic handled narrow brush with a little light Sewing machine oil will do the job nicely.
Remember to work the moving parts carefully and let the oil seep in, Fun tip; always keep a dummy "Flint" (wooden) in the Cock jaw when your not actually firing the ML, that way you can dry "fire" whenever and the Lock is protected in the case of unintended use, so long as the Frizzen is moved down over the Pan.
I have a couple of "dummy" flints that I made from a piece of ebony. Only problem is that they LOOK like a real flint, and several times I have attempted shooting with the non-spark ebony flint still in place.

Mark, when you fired that shot with a dirty or dull flint, I noticed that you have developed a pretty fair flinch. Have someone load for you, and either prime or not prime - unknown to you. A few times of that, and you will have noticed and corrected the flinch. Worked for me, anyway!

Mark, when you fired that shot with a dirty or dull flint, I noticed that you have developed a pretty fair flinch. Have someone load for you, and either prime or not prime - unknown to you. A few times of that, and you will have noticed and corrected the flinch. Worked for me, anyway!
I'll try that! I do have a nasty flinch! Thanks for the idea.

Back