• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

6-Pointer Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor said he saw my pet 4 pt a couple of weeks ago here in northeastern Peoples Republic of Maryland. They didn't come visit me during the season at all.
I haven't seen a buck since Thanksgiving!

No, I didn't get him nor even shoot at him.

I thought I'd mention that he trotted across the the country road upon which I was driving to work this morning (not so close as to be a problem), but I thought that by now he'd a shed that rack. It's a winding road so I couldn't stop to get a photo for y'all. Sorry.

Are the bucks still in antlers where you are ???

LD
Seen many bucks late March with does . One year late February in 4inch snow there were fresh scraps and rubs in my woods (indiana), I could smell the pee from a few feet away.

All stages of development here in the southern hemisphere, for Chital, all year round. Some have cast, some are budding, some are in full velvet, others are in hard antler.

Pete

C52.jpg
C51.jpg

But in the state's defense, the regular muzzleloading season around Christmas season is what got me into muzzleloading, because I have time off to hunt. Now the Primitive season has drawn me towards traditional muzzleloading, and I'm hooked.

(This is coming from a die hard, bolt action 30-06 family addict.)

It seems that I’ve heard of a second rut occurring once in a great while. Never seen it myself, only heard of it.

One year late February in 4inch snow there were fresh scraps and rubs in my woods (indiana), I could smell the pee from a few feet away.
Yeah. I've heard of a late rut before. I suspect it happens more often than we think. Going into thos past fall it was my suspicion that there was one last year as we had a lot of fawns still with spots late into the year.

When I was out this past weekend and checking out some of the fresh rub lines I could smell deer in some places.

In SE Minnesota I have found sheds in late December and have seen bucks with antlers still attached as late as the first week of April.

Regarding "rut" occuring again: Does not bred during the first cycle will come into heat again 3 to 4 weeks later...and again and again if not bred in succeeding cycles. If there's a LOT of rut activity after the first cycle it could indicate a big imbalance in the buck to doe ratio.

Here is an excellent article on the biology of The Rut.

https://www.msudeer.msstate.edu/ecology-of-the-rut.php

Bucks shed antlers up her this year in early January. I have one buck who wanders by the house in the evening, and he still has "sore" pedicals. He is with a small group of does. Probably the spike from this fall, still attached to mom and sister.

ADK Bigfoot

I thought I'd mention that he trotted across the the country road upon which I was driving to work this morning (not so close as to be a problem), but I thought that by now he'd a shed that rack. It's a winding road so I couldn't stop to get a photo for y'all. Sorry.

LD
The bucks in South Dakota are all skin heads by now.

LD
Most of ours still have antlers (or what was left when they came down into town) however a couple have now dropped one and one has called dropped both a few days ago.
HOWEVER, I now wonder if they really did drop them or if this group of 5 jr high kids 'Knocked'them off.
I caught them last week chasing the bucks down the street, one had a baseball bat. When I confronted them the 'bat kid' took off running, one of the others made a comment "We found a shed the other day.."
I tongue wagged them, reminded them it is a $5,000.00 fine to harass the deer in town and illegal to collect sheds here before May 1st....pretty sure it went in one ear and out the other.

Now that's interesting. Never heard of that before.
I do not think it's actually $5,000 for harassing them but that came to mind in heat of moment with tiny hooligans. But they did spell out the Deer Shed Law in detail back in 2019 but I do not recall actual fines.

The Nevada law has been in effect for some time, when a local man came across the matching pair of antlers of a well know buck the city named "King" there was a local uproar that he picked them up.
It was determined that if they lay on a sidewalk (as these were, near Cracker Box if I recall) then they can be picked up. BUT, the report went on, it is illegal to "harras, chase, or otherwise disturb" the deer or pick up Any antler on BLM land until After April 30th.

The reason was stated that too many people had taken to the hills, and around town (like these kids with their baseball bat) and trying to knock the antlers off...it described the harm it cause the animal, and in town the safty issues as the run across streets and through yards.

Wow! I just looked it up, apparently Now you have to have a Nevada Deer Shed Collection CERTIFICATE to go collecting during legal months....

https://www.ndow.org/blog/nevada-sh...ministrative Code (NAC,January 1 to April 30.

I do not think it's actually $5,000 for harassing them but that came to mind in heat of moment with tiny hooligans. But they did spell out the Deer Shed Law in detail back in 2019 but I do not recall actual fines.

The Nevada law has been in effect for some time, when a local man came across the matching pair of antlers of a well know buck the city named "King" there was a local uproar that he picked them up.
It was determined that if they lay on a sidewalk (as these were, near Cracker Box if I recall) then they can be picked up. BUT, the report went on, it is illegal to "harras, chase, or otherwise disturb" the deer or pick up Any antler on BLM land until After April 30th.

The reason was stated that too many people had taken to the hills, and around town (like these kids with their baseball bat) and trying to knock the antlers off...it described the harm it cause the animal, and in town the safty issues as the run across streets and through yards.

Wow! I just looked it up, apparently Now you have to have a Nevada Deer Shed Collection CERTIFICATE to go collecting during legal months....

https://www.ndow.org/blog/nevada-sh...ministrative Code (NAC,January 1 to April 30.
Thanks for the info...
A shed verification certificate is taking things too far in my opinion,,,,, but, it is Colorado. One of the most insightful books I've read on poor wildlife management is a situation in Colorado,,,, "A Beast in The Garden."

Are the deer that tame close to town that one can get close enough to knock the antlers off with a ball bat?

Latest posts

Back