• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 minnie and 20 gauge(.60)SB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auldgoat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any foreseeable problems shooting .58 minnie ball from a 20 gauge fowler? Well patched of course. Found a bunch from my younger days laying out in the forge and am too cheap to buy a RB mould 'til I really need one. How about reversing the ball?
Thx Will

Shooting a .575" Minie in a .600" to .620" bore, depending might not give you much in accuracy but can be done. You'd have a lot of windage to make up with that big a difference in sizes. Have shot Minies backward out of smoothbores, a big ole .699" in my old Potsdam musket but accuracy was slim to none...and Slim left town on the afternoon stage! :wink: Only time I ever used it was at a stake shoot...told my team, "If I actually hit the stake, shoot across from the hole I make! Ought'a be a good'un!" It was! :wink: :haha:

I agree ... otherwise, you'll waste more in powder than you'll spend on a mold, and you'll just be frustrated and really upset...

free advice, and no doubt well worth the price...

I would try it and expect the same accuracy as the old smoothbore shotgun slugs. Nothing to brag on but okay from a deer stand at 20 yards.

If you have a large number it might cheaper to buy a LEE mold and recast them.

At any rate, shoot a few offhand at 20 yards and let us know what happened. :hmm:

Rather my thoughts as well. Hard to imagine what sort of collapsing fins or folding tail would have to rotate out after it cleared the muzzle!

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb907234/pics/efp11.gif

:wink: :haha:

What about the air space between powder and ball :hmm: What is the problem with shooting a .60 cal. projectile ?

I think the original minis by design had a shuttlecock shape with a wooded plug in the end that would be rammed up and flair the shirt into the rifling. It was soon discovered that the plug was not needed because the combustion gas was sufficient to flare the end. With a smooth bore the riling issue is not a problem.

Depending on how much under bore size you are, you might want to try a standard cushion wad or simply wad up some newspaper paper to make a bore sized cushion wad and try it. The idea is to improve the bore gas seal and help flair the skirt.

Again it sound like a neat experiment but as always be very very careful, as you do not want want to create a bore blockage situation.

Back