• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with a Smooth Bore 20 Gauge Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Pleskin

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 20 gauge I want to shoot round balls out of. I am looking for recommendations so I do not have to reinvent the wheel! I was thinking of a .575 ball with 0.15 patch or possibly 0.20. I would like it to load with out having to "force" it too much, (too old for that) . Any thoughts on what you have found that works. Obviously I do not want to buy a mold until I can get the right size ball etc . Thanks for your help!

I use a .575 in a paper cartridge. It’s pretty loose in a patch.
Smoothies are real forgiving. A .595 in .15 can load real easy.
A .600 can load bare on top of a wad, and you don’t have to pound it down.
Old blanket, or greased cotton flannel will make a good wad. Just cut square in 1”x2” rectangle
Brown paper woks in this size too, a wad above and below the ball.
You can buy hemp yarn at a hobby store or Wally World cut in one foot length and teased apart in to fluff work well. Just a little ball that runs down easy then tamped to form tight in the bottom
Then if you make a fiber ball you can half start it then nest a .575 or even larger works.
You have so many options with a smoothie and each and every one of them is the best.

Not all 20 ga barrels are the same bore diameter
I've had barrels marketed as 20 gauge run from .600" to .635" So before I bought a mold or balls, I'd mic the bore.
I've had good luck shooting .600" dia. balls with .018" pillowtick cotton patch with 80 grains 2F out of a .625" bore.in the past.

Not all 20 ga barrels are the same bore diameter
I've had barrels marketed as 20 gauge run from .600" to .635" So before I bought a mold or balls, I'd mic the bore.
I've had good luck shooting .600" dia. balls with .018" pillowtick cotton patch with 80 grains 2F out of a .625" bore.in the past.
Thanks. My bore mikes .610-.613 if I can keep my hand steady!

I use a .575 in a paper cartridge. It’s pretty loose in a patch.
Smoothies are real forgiving. A .595 in .15 can load real easy.
A .600 can load bare on top of a wad, and you don’t have to pound it down.
Old blanket, or greased cotton flannel will make a good wad. Just cut square in 1”x2” rectangle
Brown paper woks in this size too, a wad above and below the ball.
You can buy hemp yarn at a hobby store or Wally World cut in one foot length and teased apart in to fluff work well. Just a little ball that runs down easy then tamped to form tight in the bottom
Then if you make a fiber ball you can half start it then nest a .575 or even larger works.
You have so many options with a smoothie and each and every one of them is the best.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Search here. There are a lot of discussions in this topic (as mentioned above).
.595 with patch works in mine with 80 gr of 2F.
Go larger, .60, with a tow wad if you don't want to patch.
I am not familiar with how to search?

Someday I'm going to figure out a way to save my answer and others to this question so it is easier to reply to.
Two different 20 gauge guns, both like different loads. (In other words you will still need to do some range work to figure out what is best for your gun)

1st, a note on smoothbore load development, well,,,, Two notes.
1. I'm not an expert or master, I don't compete, I hunt and shoot to practice for hunting, my standards are fairly high though, beware those that give load advice and say "it works good enough for me," without defining what their goals are. I want 4" or less at 50 yards, and really expect more like 3" or less.

2nd. Maybe more important than the 1st note. Discard all conventional wisdom regarding rifle load development,,,,,, but not logic and reason.
Tighter is not always better with a smoothbore is the biggest one.

The less seal you have, generally the more powder you will need,,,,, generally. There are folks who shoot with no patch or wads, just ball on powder. But, I'm not sure of their accuracy standards, this leads to a lot of fouling, and, they usually are using large powder charges.

Gun #1. TVM Early Virginia Smoothrifle.
Likes: in order; 85 grains 3f, thin overshot card, lubed felt wad, .610 ball, two thin overshot cards.
I arrived here when tight patched loads at any powder charge did not work,,,, but,,, reading about people having better success with just wads and patches, I tried a loose patch and ball,,,, .595 ball and .010 patch with a thin card to separate the lubed patch from the powder.... Instant improvement. So, I tried the wads and after playing a bit with powder charges and number of cards and felt wads arrived at the above load.

Then, I became interested in shooting a woodswalk at a club that doesn't allow a powder charge that heavy. This is where this gun's second good load came to be. I played around a lot, basing what I was doing on the loose patch/ball round improving things.
So defied conventional wisdom again and dropped my charge much lower than the club's maximum.
Turns out, in this gun, 65 grains 3f will shoot a .595/.010 ball/patch combo as well as the above load with wads, as well as shooting a paper cartridge wrapped ball pretty well, and a card/wad/.595 ball/card load decently.

Gun #2
None of this works up to the same standards in my Centermark Fusil des Chase.
It shoots 80 grains powder and a patched .600 ball pretty darn well. But, this kicks pretty hard (since being ill and loosing quite a bit of weight/muscle a couple years ago I don't handle recoil like I used to) at least off the bench, might be fine in field positions. Also, and I know it doesn't matter to many folks but it does to me, a patched ball in this gun would not seem to be historically correct for my time and place of interest.
I'm still working on loads for this gun. The one thing I've determined that seems certain, it does not like anything stiff behind the ball,,,, no overshot cards.
Right now 75 grains 3f, dry felt wad, lubed wad of either felt or "tow", .610 ball, thin card, shoots best, but I think could be improved.
I'm also playing with 2f loads to change the pressure curve and spike in hopes of changing recoil and group size.

I hope this helps someone.. I apologize for the length.

Someday I'm going to figure out a way to save my answer and others to this question so it is easier to reply to.
Two different 20 gauge guns, both like different loads. (In other words you will still need to do some range work to figure out what is best for your gun)

1st, a note on smoothbore load development, well,,,, Two notes.
1. I'm not an expert or master, I don't compete, I hunt and shoot to practice for hunting, my standards are fairly high though, beware those that give load advice and say "it works good enough for me," without defining what their goals are. I want 4" or less at 50 yards, and really expect more like 3" or less.

2nd. Maybe more important than the 1st note. Discard all conventional wisdom regarding rifle load development,,,,,, but not logic and reason.
Tighter is not always better with a smoothbore is the biggest one.

The less seal you have, generally the more powder you will need,,,,, generally. There are folks who shoot with no patch or wads, just ball on powder. But, I'm not sure of their accuracy standards, this leads to a lot of fouling, and, they usually are using large powder charges.

Gun #1. TVM Early Virginia Smoothrifle.
Likes: in order; 85 grains 3f, thin overshot card, lubed felt wad, .610 ball, two thin overshot cards.
I arrived here when tight patched loads at any powder charge did not work,,,, but,,, reading about people having better success with just wads and patches, I tried a loose patch and ball,,,, .595 ball and .010 patch with a thin card to separate the lubed patch from the powder.... Instant improvement. So, I tried the wads and after playing a bit with powder charges and number of cards and felt wads arrived at the above load.

Then, I became interested in shooting a woodswalk at a club that doesn't allow a powder charge that heavy. This is where this gun's second good load came to be. I played around a lot, basing what I was doing on the loose patch/ball round improving things.
So defied conventional wisdom again and dropped my charge much lower than the club's maximum.
Turns out, in this gun, 65 grains 3f will shoot a .595/.010 ball/patch combo as well as the above load with wads, as well as shooting a paper cartridge wrapped ball pretty well, and a card/wad/.595 ball/card load decently.

Gun #2
None of this works up to the same standards in my Centermark Fusil des Chase.
It shoots 80 grains powder and a patched .600 ball pretty darn well. But, this kicks pretty hard (since being ill and loosing quite a bit of weight/muscle a couple years ago I don't handle recoil like I used to) at least off the bench, might be fine in field positions. Also, and I know it doesn't matter to many folks but it does to me, a patched ball in this gun would not seem to be historically correct for my time and place of interest.
I'm still working on loads for this gun. The one thing I've determined that seems certain, it does not like anything stiff behind the ball,,,, no overshot cards.
Right now 75 grains 3f, dry felt wad, lubed wad of either felt or "tow", .610 ball, thin card, shoots best, but I think could be improved.
I'm also playing with 2f loads to change the pressure curve and spike in hopes of changing recoil and group size.

great information, thanks!

With a tight bore like my 20 ga a .600" ball and a .012" patch. Anywhere from 60 grns to 75 grns does it. But a .600" ball with a felt wad and an over-ball card wad seated as one unit gives very close to the same accuracy.

On of the forum member is Dualist 54, Mike Belivive. He has a you tube channel and a bunch of videos on smoothbore loads and experiments
It doesn’t matter if your an old Grey beard that was taught how to shoot Ml by Sam Hawkens himself his videos are a joy to watch
Just for fun Black Powder Mania on you tube also covers some good idea.
Stillwater bushcrafts and Black Powder TV are two others

Do a copy and paste it into a word document and then you can copy from the word document and post it as many times as you like

Highlight then control "C"
put your cursor where you want and then control "V"

Do a copy and paste it into a word document and then you can copy from the word document and post it as many times as you like

Highlight then control "C"
put your cursor where you want and then control "V"
Thanks. Thought of that, but I think it will only work on my laptop/p.c. not on this smarty pants phone which has become my primary forum access.

Back