• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 good and bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not outlawed at all, just need to be registered.

I'm not trying to insult you, but quit blowing smoke. Australia is one of the strictest countries in the world. Top 5 for sure, right behind China and North Korea, which are about the only countries which have outright banned no exceptions firearms to a normal person.

Now onto something that actually matters to this thread. Due to your circumstances, I'm going to suggest you do not get a 58 caliber. Normally I'd say just buy whatever makes you happy, but 58 caliber isn't much of a fun caliber if you ask me. It is a hunting workhorse. If you were just looking to have fun, go smaller. If you are hoping 58 offers something 54 doesn't for hunting, you are going to be disappointed. 54 is perfectly suited for Elk and Red deer, even on steeper angle shots. If you want more, then go bigger. 62 caliber is a worthwhile jump from 54, and I wouldn't be scared to go bigger yet if you could find the right rifle.

In my own opinion I don't see much point in making small changes to caliber. Like most, I own both 50 and 54 caliber. I think it is a pain. The difference is negligible, and you always have the wrong jag, or balls, or whatever. I still own a 50 caliber, but for the most part I standardized on 54 caliber, and don't regret it one bit. I shoot my various rifles and handguns just as much as if they were all different calibers, probably more so. If all you had was a 50 caliber, I'd say a 58 might be worth it, but 54 to 58 is nothing.

In my own opinion I don't see much point in making small changes to caliber. Like most, I own both 50 and 54 caliber. I think it is a pain.
All that jaw jacking for what?????
I have 40 to 75 - pretty much everything in between.
Why all the denigration?
I don't see why "it's a pain" to have several different calibers. It's fun to have different calibers, ignition types, lengths, barrel shapes, stock wood types - etc.....
I shoot them all, enjoy them all, collect them all and will keep them all.
I can kill a rabbit or a deer with a 40 - or with a 75. And have a lot of enjoyment doing it!
I can kill a piece of paper or ring a gong with any of them too!
You really can have your cake and eat it too. There's no pain to it.......

If you would read my post in it's entirety, you would see I'm making an exception for his circumstances. If he were in another country where he could reasonably buy as many as he wanted, you would be right. Unless the guy is rich, there's only so much he can do, and in that case owning both a 54 and 58 caliber is pointless. Do it if you want, but I'd want both to be the same caliber.

I had the same questions. Giving the 58 cal a try, I ended up being pleasantly surprised. I shoot a patched .570 LRB with 80gr 3F. From a ballistics standpoint, aside from the noticeable energy/knockdown effect on deer, the larger ball impacts within an inch or so of my 54 cal out to 100-125 yards with he same, or slightly better wind drift due to the increased BC of the larger ball. With a 50 yard zero, my drop at 100 yards, within the vitals of a deer from 25-100 yards. I have found no difference in accuracy and the felt recoil difference is not that noticeable to me. My Kibler Colonial with the 58 cal GM barrel balances perfectly with the 58 cal barrel. Aside from fewer balls/pound I see found no downsides with this caliber becoming my go-to for deer hunting.
View attachment 110853View attachment 110854
Nice shooting Tex….

I have 45s, 50s, and 58s in flint and percussion. I had a 54 but once I got a 58 and started shooting it I gave the 54 to my buddy. The 58 will do anything the 54 can do and better. And both of my 58s are more accurate than my 54 ever was. I don't know why but they just are.
With all the muzzleloaders I have I almost always grab my either my percussion or flint .58 to hunt with. Both of my 58s are in T/C Renegade stocks. The caplock is a GM 1:60 and the flinter is a Bob Hoyt custom build 1:60

What kind of a muzzle loader is the rifle in the stag and dog picture ?

He pointed that out in the same post.

I was more curious about the jawbone. Apparently the dog had success that day too.

54 to 58. Only .04 difference but around 50 grains in weight. Mass matters!

I think for you and your circumstances the jump to 58 makes sense.

Back