• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 good and bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just a shooting the inlines today, Electra and Encore.
Tomorrow will be the Double .58 with patched round ball and Real Bullet

Ignore the gun, but this is quite often the type of country I hunt, fringe country we call it. Can be hard to get closer than 300m and at times impossible to get closer than 125-150m. Being able to shoot that far is pretty essential to a successful season. You can also shoot them at 20m during the rut or in thick bush but I like to plan for the worst.

View attachment 110989
What kind of a muzzle loader is the rifle in the stag and dog picture ?

Ignore the gun, but this is quite often the type of country I hunt, fringe country we call it. Can be hard to get closer than 300m and at times impossible to get closer than 125-150m. Being able to shoot that far is pretty essential to a successful season. You can also shoot them at 20m during the rut or in thick bush but I like to plan for the worst.

View attachment 110989
Beautiful country and an even more beautiful dog. 2 questions,
1 is your 62 rifled?
2 have you considered the trajectory of various weights of projectiles?

The reason I ask is that I stick with a 50 cal here for distances due to that. I'd shoot the 45, but I reserve those two flintlocks for training other's. I also sometimes use steel ball bearings for long shots. Yes, it's hard on the lands and grooves, but the occasional round isn't going to matter and gives an extra 50 yards to the sight picture i.e. 150 yards with the same impact / sight picture as 100 yds.

Double .58 Kodiak

Excellent Real Boolet results. 445gr
50 and 80 yards off hand.
Same POI as my PRB with same 75gr FFg charge.

Awesome accuracy- It was off hand.
I’m sure 100 yards wouldn’t be to difficult.

I used a Single Shooting stick - Only peep site, Express sight leaves down… yet I can flip them up, see over peep for 100yards shooting.

Deer and Target shoot,280 PRB at 10bhn , anything bigger.. Real Boolet 445gr 8-9 Water quenched

Didn't powder coat, Just good old Crisco.

Attachments

• 718CC493-AF4F-4020-8B18-D96937F05FB6.jpeg
    718CC493-AF4F-4020-8B18-D96937F05FB6.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 0FB8F78C-E893-415E-9DD2-F5F2D0D65BF2.jpeg
    0FB8F78C-E893-415E-9DD2-F5F2D0D65BF2.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Beautiful country and an even more beautiful dog. 2 questions,
1 is your 62 rifled?
2 have you considered the trajectory of various weights of projectiles?

The reason I ask is that I stick with a 50 cal here for distances due to that. I'd shoot the 45, but I reserve those two flintlocks for training other's. I also sometimes use steel ball bearings for long shots. Yes, it's hard on the lands and grooves, but the occasional round isn't going to matter and gives an extra 50 yards to the sight picture i.e. 150 yards with the same impact / sight picture as 100 yds.

She was a beautiful pup, sadly hit by a moron about a week after this photo. We bred her from my gripe to keep her line going. Now it's done.

As I said it's a smoothbore so no not rifled.

Yes, drop is really only one of the cons I can think of if you can call it that. Adjusting for elevation is fine, but the chambers guns don't have elevation in their sights. If I can't shoot point of aim at 100m then it's not worth buying as far as I'm concerned. And I'm only really interested in lead round balls.

Bear in mind where I live with the exception of one species, there's a 12 month season, no tags and across the board on all non avian game no weapon specific seasons. If shots are going to be long I just grab a centrefire.

The over all biggest con to this gun is the price particularly when i want but don't need it!

Those Kodiak double express rifles are one I have always drooled over but never had the funds for.
Especially the .58 version

post some video of you shooting it so I can live vicariously :D

Holding the Rifle, a Sling Wrapped and A Single shooting stick under forearm …. would be difficult to Take a Video with a Selfi Stick in my Teeth ..haha

Double .58 Kodiak

Excellent Real Boolet results. 445gr
50 and 80 yards off hand.
Same POI as my PRB with same 75gr FFg charge.

Awesome accuracy- It was off hand.
I’m sure 100 yards wouldn’t be to difficult.

I used a Single Shooting stick - Only peep site, Express sight leaves down… yet I can flip them up, see over peep for 100yards shooting.

Deer and Target shoot,280 PRB at 10bhn , anything bigger.. Real Boolet 445gr 8-9 Water quenched

Didn't powder coat, Just good old Crisco.
beautiful. thats what I am talking about. crisco always gets negative comments but it works. real bullets load so easy and you dont have to use patches where pages of comments arguing over lube, patch materiel, thickness of patches go on. drop the bullet in and fire. no ball starter. like to see you use a good rest to get the most out of the rifle. that is excellent for offhand

Yep the Real bullets are excellent, Crisco is simple and works. The Patched roundball shoots very sweet in my .58 and to my surprise so does the Real.

Practice shooting at the range or hunting- I’m ready out to 100yards confidentially

Anyway, The .58 Is great.
That Real bullet is Excellent. I like it ,loaded without to much issue…. Still needed a starter yet cleaned up bore on way down.

Big holes compared to the .50 in target

Heck, a round ball is 280gr andI cast mine to 10bhn. With wonder lube .18 patch it’s Plenty for full penetration on many things of fur

Last edited:
I've spoken to plenty of Americans that are under the impression we can't own guns I Australia, always seemed surprised that things aren't that bad here. Gun laws vary state to state but there are some crappy things such as this in mine. It's 14 days to present it to the law as a completed and functioning gun I guess to prove it's not going to be turned into something illicit?

If a flintlock is pre 1900 it doesn't need to be registered, otherwise they all are treated the same more or less. But those are worth a shite load for that reason.

We're subject to police inspections without notice here, guns and ammo must be locked at all times. A friend lost his licence for having a full shotgun belt sitting on instead of in the safe and for having a rusted out, missing bolt 303 that wasn't functional but that he hadn't registered.

NOT THAT BAD?!:dunno:

Good god man, you make Canada sound like a gun owners paradise. I read that, and as far as I'm concerned, Australia has outlawed non-original muzzleloaders.

Anyway, The .58 Is great.
That Real bullet is Excellent. I like it ,loaded without to much issue…. Still needed a starter yet cleaned up bore on way down.

Big holes compared to the .50 in target

Heck, a round ball is 280gr andI cast mine to 10bhn. With wonder lube .18 patch it’s Plenty for full penetration on many things of fur
you had the same twist as my rifle and a better barrel I knew you had a good chance of the real bullet shooting well. the bullet cleans some on the way out. I have fired 50 real bullets no swabbing and hardly saw a difference in shoving them down the tube. it cuts out a lot of annoying work to load. some guys like that. I could do without it

lol

I coulda swore I was....

age messing with me

No harm done, I just notice that someone will ask a question to which forum members deride them by saying the question has been answered before. But I myself have had to ask questions because looking through old threads they've yawed off in another direction and don't really answer the question.

I like to think my threads can be helpful to others wondering the same things.

Good Topics are like Good healthy Oak Trees…. They can Go in various directions. Yet all start with one Nut.

Just kidding- Great topic, Really Gotta say a lot of guys like the 54, yet the 58 is definitely my favorite. I cast my own… so a little more lead makes no difference to me. Now a 72- We’ll that’s a bit different story.
No harm done, I just notice that someone will ask a question to which forum members deride them by saying the question has been answered before. But I myself have had to ask questions because looking through old threads they've yawed off in another direction and don't really answer the question.

I like to think my threads can be helpful to others wondering the same things.

Back