• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 good and bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question? Why only 14 days to complete a kit build? Do the authorities come and check it out? That's crazy if they are that paranoid over a Flintlock or Caplock muzzleloader. Hope you find what you are looking for my friend. I am actually waiting on the Pedersoli SXS Flintlock 20 bore Rifle to make it over as I plan on buying one of those. Would love to use one on pigs.
I've spoken to plenty of Americans that are under the impression we can't own guns I Australia, always seemed surprised that things aren't that bad here. Gun laws vary state to state but there are some crappy things such as this in mine. It's 14 days to present it to the law as a completed and functioning gun I guess to prove it's not going to be turned into something illicit?

If a flintlock is pre 1900 it doesn't need to be registered, otherwise they all are treated the same more or less. But those are worth a shite load for that reason.

We're subject to police inspections without notice here, guns and ammo must be locked at all times. A friend lost his licence for having a full shotgun belt sitting on instead of in the safe and for having a rusted out, missing bolt 303 that wasn't functional but that he hadn't registered.

I’ve shot and killed deer with a .45, a .50, and a .58. My buck last year was shot with the .58 and the deer was very downhill and quartering more than I realized. Ball went in high on near shoulder, breaking a rib, through thenear lung, then diaphragm, liver, and stomach, exiting low close to the white of the belly on the far side. Altogether it traveled about 30” through the deer. I’m sure the .45 or .50 would not have done as well. A .54 may have. But if I was taking 125 yard shots I’d prefer the .54 for trajectory. I shoot 90 grains of FFG in my .58 and my .54. Both have Getz barrels.

Ignore the gun, but this is quite often the type of country I hunt, fringe country we call it. Can be hard to get closer than 300m and at times impossible to get closer than 125-150m. Being able to shoot that far is pretty essential to a successful season. You can also shoot them at 20m during the rut or in thick bush but I like to plan for the worst.

20201015_143802.jpg

Question? Why only 14 days to complete a kit build? Do the authorities come and check it out? That's crazy if they are that paranoid over a Flintlock or Caplock muzzleloader. Hope you find what you are looking for my friend. I am actually waiting on the Pedersoli SXS Flintlock 20 bore Rifle to make it over as I plan on buying one of those. Would love to use one on pigs.
Aussie laws are a bit different than ours in the US.

I’ve shot both a .54 & .58 & I feel no noticeable recoil and can’t remember much of a difference in accuracy. I put down an elk with my dad’s .54 last fall (didn’t have my .58 at that time), but it took a couple well placed rounds to do so. My .58 does great on Kansas deer, but have not had the opportunity to take it elk hunting yet.

I have two .50s(three if you count the dust-collecting scoped inline). One is a Flintlock, the other a percussion. They both shoot about equally well. I enjoy shooting the flintlock more, but do better offhand with the shorter, lighter Hawken. My son has a. 54 cal flintlock, and I don't see much difference between my .50 and his .54. But since there's always a "next gun" to get, I was thinking either a .58cal rifle or a .62cal smoothbore(fusil de chaisse). I dont hunt anything other than deer and squirrel(next NEXT gun would be a .32 or .36) but if I did, and felt the .50 was too light, I'd prefer the .58 to a .54.

I have two .50s(three if you count the dust-collecting scoped inline). One is a Flintlock, the other a percussion. They both shoot about equally well. I enjoy shooting the flintlock more, but do better offhand with the shorter, lighter Hawken. My son has a. 54 cal flintlock, and I don't see much difference between my .50 and his .54. But since there's always a "next gun" to get, I was thinking either a .58cal rifle or a .62cal smoothbore(fusil de chaisse). I dont hunt anything other than deer and squirrel(next NEXT gun would be a .32 or .36) but if I did, and felt the .50 was too light, I'd prefer the .58 to a .54.
Perhaps with low end powder charges there is not much difference between a .50 + .54. However, I can most certainly tell the difference between a 177 grain ball and 224 grain ball both in recoil and impact.

We were shooting both guns with 80gr of Swiss 2f, same patch/lube. I use a .495 ball, he uses a .535 ball. His gun IS probably a pound heavier though.

I own a 62 cal smootbore flintlock, but I just don't see it getting the range to do much big game hunting. L

We don't treestand hunt here, we either spot and stalk or most commonly stalk, which for some reason you fellas call still hunting?

I could see if I was in a treestand and had a deer pass really close the smoothy would be handy.

I mostly just want a rifled flintlock and want to make sure it gets used. I could go the other way and get a 50 cal but that's legally not going to be enough for a deer here (220 grain min projectile). Not that I've heard of anyone ever being pulled up on bullet weight.

So, you guys talking about a .54 “saving lead” over a .58, is lead really that dear in your parts? I understand if buying retail as those big balls are pricey. But I suspect a lot of us cast, or 50 balls would last a good while.

I own a 62 cal smootbore flintlock, but I just don't see it getting the range to do much big game hunting. L

We don't treestand hunt here, we either spot and stalk or most commonly stalk, which for some reason you fellas call still hunting?

I could see if I was in a treestand and had a deer pass really close the smoothy would be handy.

I mostly just want a rifled flintlock and want to make sure it gets used. I could go the other way and get a 50 cal but that's legally not going to be enough for a deer here (220 grain min projectile). Not that I've heard of anyone ever being pulled up on bullet weight.
Unless the deer grow to unusually large size down under, I suspect the game management folks have never taken game with a round ball and have no basis for the requirement. I have cleanly killed deer with .45. and .50 round balls and the 220 grain minimum requirement sounds a bit unsubstantiated. Having so stated, a well loaded .54 will take anything on the North American continent.

So, you guys talking about a .54 “saving lead” over a .58, is lead really that dear in your parts? I understand if buying retail as those big balls are pricey. But I suspect a lot of us cast, or 50 balls would last a good while.
Cost of lead isn't an issue for me, even at factory prices. I get a gun sighted in then only fire when hunting. Not a big expenditure

So the bullet will drop "more" ONLY if it uses the same powder load as your .54. It will start out slower with an identical powder load to your .54 because it has more mass, AND it has a larger diameter, so will have more air friction as it flies. The downward pull is the same on both round balls, but due to the long flight time because it will be moving slower than the .530 ball..., gravity will have longer to pull it down and thus... more "drop". SO... you'd simply give the .58 more powder and voila, you've compensated.

At the impact, the .570 round ball will give a larger hole, and with more mass, should penetrate deeper. This really isn't that much of an advantage, as most of us seem to favor broadside or shoulder shots. At 100 yards (depending on your load of course) I'd expect that .570 ball to go through a white tail or a red deer. A shoulder shot with the deer quartering toward you..., should drop it as if poleaxed.

So IF you want that .58... get it!

LD
Last deer I got with my .58 went in the left front shoulder and out just in front of the right hind leg, .562rb 120 gr goex 3f about 90 yds. 2 hours crawling through the blow downs to get to him.

I mostly just want a rifled flintlock and want to make sure it gets used. I could go the other way and get a 50 cal but that's legally not going to be enough for a deer here (220 grain
Only a month Cranberries I use that in a week of shooting.

Only a week?

I use a pound an hour.

I've been keeping an eye out as well as proactively speaking with some people e.g. Jim chambers, about a rifled flintlock.

I would never part with my rocky mountain .54 caplock so I thought the next logical thing would be to get a 58 (I also own an inline and caplock 50). I just wanted a point of difference so I didn't have two of the same cal and end up using just one like I do with my 50s.

But what are the real pros and cons to a .58 over a .54? I've had the opportunity to buy a couple of .54s and have passed thus far.

I mostly hunt red deer which for arguments sake let's call elk size, I like the idea of having a good size ball for taking them on quartering to shots and such as I like to roar them in during the rut meaning that often frontal or near frontal shots are common.

I just want it to shoot point of aim at 100 yards and to be able to shoot minute of whitetail at that range.

Thinking logically I can see that a 58 would likely hit a bit harder but also drop a bit quicker. Recoil doesn't really bother me.

Any other considerations to swing me one way or another?
In my humble opinion ----> 58 is a good thing, there is no bad thing about it!

I got a .58 caliber 1x48 twist hawken and do not bother with patches and balls. The rifle shoots real good with the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet. easy to cast and load

My in-line 50 has a scope for longer range on field hunting. My open sight in-line is for rainy bad weather days… it’s a .50 also.
Yet my Favorite to use and shoot is by far my Kodiak .58 with Patched ball (10bhn) and 75gr of FFg. Plenty for normal sized deer out to 80 yards or so. If I was hunting Elk sized game I’d want a bit heavier projectile. Hence why I just bought the Real 445gr I cast at a 8bhn. I will see what it shoots best at…. Around 100gr 3F perhaps.

I use each rifle for the proper tool it is, not so much the caliber, Since accuracy is the #1 priority. I don’t think a 54 or 58 would show to much difference when impact on a Elk size animal……… Yet I’d very much prefer to have a Bigger hammer when ya have to Nail a Throphy - To the Wall ! I’ll take my .58 for most anything over others…. Because I know that big old Projectile will get the job done.

Get yourself a .58, I’m sure you will not regret it.

Attachments

• DAE8FCD5-5C3C-4860-B370-E40AB5FAEAFC.jpeg
    DAE8FCD5-5C3C-4860-B370-E40AB5FAEAFC.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 36
  • 28B0EF88-9BCD-414B-82CE-206196168B74.jpeg
    28B0EF88-9BCD-414B-82CE-206196168B74.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
My in-line 50 has a scope for longer range on field hunting. My open sight in-line is for rainy bad weather days… it’s a .50 also.
Yet my Favorite to use and shoot is by far my Kodiak .58 with Patched ball (10bhn) and 75gr of FFg. Plenty for normal sized deer out to 80 yards or so. If I was hunting Elk sized game I’d want a bit heavier projectile. Hence why I just bought the Real 445gr I cast at a 8bhn. I will see what it shoots best at…. Around 100gr 3F perhaps.

I use each rifle for the proper tool it is, not so much the caliber, Since accuracy is the #1 priority. I don’t think a 54 or 58 would show to much difference when impact on a Elk size animal……… Yet I’d very much prefer to have a Bigger hammer when ya have to Nail a Throphy - To the Wall ! I’ll take my .58 for most anything over others…. Because I know that big old Projectile will get the job done.

Get yourself a .58, I’m sure you will not regret it.
like to see the results of the REAL bullet in your rifle. what is the twist rate?

Back