• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 cal. GM barrel which mold???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokehouseman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently ordered a .58 GM barrel 1:70" twist for RB shooting that will drop into my T/C Hawken. I would like to get thoughts from other members as to which molds work good for the GM barrels and what do you use for patch material?

I can't recommend a mold, but I've got the same barrel in an early virginia rifle. I'm using .018 pillow tick as patching and a .570 ball. On warmer days (60 degrees plus) I was able to thumb start the ball with some hard pressure. The other day I had to use a short starter when the temp dropped in to the low 30's. I'm guessing that has more to do with the lube hardening.
I'm occasionally getting clover-leaf groups at 50 yards with 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups being the norm as I get to know my rifle so far.

I'm using a Lyman .570 RB mold with pillow tick from JoAnn's Fabric (can't remember what it mic's) and Stumpy's Moose Juice "semi-dry" method. I cut my patches at the muzzle. I guarantee you will LOVE that barrel.
Idaho PRB

I have a flint Hawken with a GM .58 barrel. Two combos work well in this barrel. One is a .570 ball with 10 oz. (about .020) denim. The other is a .562 with 13 oz denim (about .032). Both take a rap with the short starter to get in the barrel but go down easily after that. The .562 combo gets the most use simply because I have a double cavity mold for it while the .570 is a single cavity.

I have a GM drop in barrel in .58 and it is a good shooter but it cuts patches. I have to use 10 oz. cotten duck that I think mikes out at about .022 after its been washed. I tried .018 pillow ticking but it cut the patches,it does'nt cut the cotton duck. I've only shot about 100 balls through it so I hope it will stop cutting patches after its been shot more.I have only tried a .570 ball in it because that is all I can find. It does shoot good though. I was lucky enough to take it to Colo. last year and took a nice mule deer with it. Dew

DEW said:
I have a GM drop in barrel in .58 and it is a good shooter but it cuts patches.
My GM .58cal did that initially...they were actually being cut by the sharp ends of the lands at short start time...eventually stopped doing it

roundball said:
DEW said:
I have a GM drop in barrel in .58 and it is a good shooter but it cuts patches.
My GM .58cal did that initially...they were actually being cut by the sharp ends of the lands at short start time...eventually stopped doing it

Now that you mention it, I had the same problem on my first range session. I had forgot my lubed patches at home and ended up spit patching. I couldn't tell if they were cut or burnt..although one patch was completely shredded. Next time out I remembered my patches lubed with bore butter and not a single patch was cut or burned.

Latest posts

Back