• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 varmint-predator load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBG

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What is the lightest powder charge that could be used with a .530 PRB in a 29" rifle barrel? Would the minimum charge be different for flint and percussion? What are the safety considerations? Thanks for any help.

GBG said:
.54cal Varmint-Predator load?
That might depend on the distances involved. But one approach is just to consider "the caliber" as the measure for a target type powder charge...in the case of a .54cal, I just use 50grns Goex 3F for targets/plinking at the 25/50 yard range.
But if you're wanting to try coyotes at 100-100+ yards, you'd probably want to run it up to 80-100grn area for a flatter trajectory at distance.
What is the lightest powder charge that could be used with a .530 PRB in a 29" rifle barrel?
I'll guess at 20-25grns.
Would the minimum charge be different for flint and percussion?
Might be an ever so slight difference in MV but the minimum charge would not be governed on the basis of cap vs. flint.
What are the safety considerations?
The same as when using any powder charge

Last edited by a moderator:
My coyote "season" starts usually in mid-January when upland closes to about mid-April.
Let's say the hunting pressure is very light around here for this very worthy game.
Because my rifles are dialed in for a particular load and distance for deer, I do not change anything load-wise for coyotes.
100 yds, is still 100 yds. wether it's a deer or coyote.
My .54s like .530 rb's over 80-90 grs. fffg with .015 or .018 patches.

I don't think I'd change the load at all for varmints. Stick with your most accurate load.

I've whacked coyotes with my big game loads and found that it's still just round hole in and round hole out no matter what the load, so that's what I'd recommend.

As far as safety goes, if your rifle is a patent breech then you might want to be certain that your load is enough to fill the patent breech. Probably not all that big a safety issue but it could have some effect on efficiency.

Thanks to all for the advice. Around here houses average 100 yds. apart with thick woods and underbrush between. Coyotes are bold and have killed many pets including grown dogs. Range will be 25 yards at a steep downward angle. I was hoping to find a "low noise" load thats least disturbing to neighbors, most of whom are my family. If accurate, would 20-25grns be enough for coyote? I'd think so, but the only RBs I've used so far was 00buck from a pump shotgun.

For snowshoe hare I use 30 or 35 grains of 3f or Pyro P in my Lyman GPR's with their patent breeches. They'll just about stack round balls on top of each other out to around 50 yards with that charge. Way more accurate than my big game loads, which are no slouch in their own right. I've got to say that if you plan on eating any of what youshoot, keep that 54 cal ball in the head, no matter how small the charge. I've popped a few hares in the neck with mine, and it just about beheads them while driving a whole bunch of blood back into the shoulders.

GBG said:
Around here houses average 100 yds. apart with thick woods and underbrush between.

Coyotes are bold and have killed many pets including grown dogs.

I was hoping to find a "low noise" load thats least disturbing to neighbors.
Heck if that's what the situation is, just get a .22cal rifle with either a large light gathering objective lens scope, and/or one of those red light varmint lights for night shooting (assuming that's legal in your state).

If you work during the day, coupled with the typical behavior of coyotes, I'd be surprised if you any during daylight hours...maybe at first and last low light when iron sights won't be worth much...dunno

Thanks BrownBear! I'm glad to know a .54 can be that accurate with light loads. I'm going to buy a traditional ML but can only afford one used gun for all jobs. My brother has a .54 with accoutrements and will send me some if I have the same caliber. All I'll need is powder. Lights and night hunting aren't legal in AL, even for nocturnal predators...go figure? I cut small dots from childrens glow in the dark wall stickers and put them on my iron sights in low light. Just charge with a pen light then peel off when the sun comes up. Thanks again to everyone.

If you're looking for yodeldogs in neighborhoods, take the time to record a puppy whining or a kitten crying.

Set the recorder out on the edge of civilization, turn it on, and run like crazy for cover. Carry a whole fistful of speed loaders, too.

The way the critters come running in, you're going to get a whole bunch of shooting the first time or two you try it.

gamo has a video of a 200 lb hog being killed with a .177 caliber pellet air rifle. I'd use this because 1) it will work 2) it's quieter than any firearm and 3) if the cops show up and complain about discharging a weapon it's just a "bb gun" might still be illegal, but doubtful they'd do much-maybe give you a fine.

over on the airgun forum there has been some very heated discussions about using a gamo spring piston airgun for hogs. the outcomes of the discussions were that it is not powerful enough to get the job done. yes it will kill it but it has to be a perfect shot. anyway back to muzzleloaders. if you guys where hunting yolts with a muzzleloader what would you guys use for a 250+ yard shot lol lol I think I would go with a 54 cal hawkin with 125 grains powder and a 435 grain maxi hunter conical. what would you guys use ? lol

GBG said:
Thanks to all for the advice. Around here houses average 100 yds. apart with thick woods and underbrush between. Coyotes are bold and have killed many pets including grown dogs. Range will be 25 yards at a steep downward angle. I was hoping to find a "low noise" load thats least disturbing to neighbors, most of whom are my family. If accurate, would 20-25grns be enough for coyote? I'd think so, but the only RBs I've used so far was 00buck from a pump shotgun.

Man is it worth the it? Seems awfully dangerous to be doing this in such close quarters. Consider a trap (cage)?

sar and silent sniper, there are .50cal PCP airguns used for predators. They are powerful as a light loaded ML but cost much more and are only good for 3 shots before recharging.

gmww, safety is the first consideration and why I asked about low power RB loads. Trapping may be an answer, I just know zero about it. Started reading and my first worry is domestic dogs including $$$$ deer and coon dogs that get loose and roam. Other responsibilities won't let me check traps daily as recommended. We have a serious predator problem and I'm even concerned about children playing outside in the community. Sorry if I've gotten off forum topics. I'm open to any suggestions, just send me a PM. Thanks

I'm comfortable with 50 gr FF in my Lyman GPR .54 providing the distance is not much over 60-70 yards. Beyond that I go to my full hunting charge of 70 gr FF.

yes the 50 cal pcp airguns are nice and it shows you that not a whole lot of power is needed to kill an animal. a dragon slayer pcp airgun gets 150-200 foot pounds at the muzzle. people kill hogs and deer with this gun. a 36 cal muzzleloader with a 32 inch barrel and 25 grains of FFF gets 281 foot pounds at the muzzle with a PRB. that means that a 36 cal gun would be fine for coyotes out to 50-60 yards. (by the way GBG I have a 22 cal pcp gun ) lol

GBG said:
gmww, safety is the first consideration and why I asked about low power RB loads. Trapping may be an answer, I just know zero about it. Started reading and my first worry is domestic dogs including $$$$ deer and coon dogs that get loose and roam. Other responsibilities won't let me check traps daily as recommended. We have a serious predator problem and I'm even concerned about children playing outside in the community. Sorry if I've gotten off forum topics. I'm open to any suggestions, just send me a PM. Thanks

I'm glad safety is your first consideration. I'm still thinking of that Muzzle loading death a couple of years ago. 18 year old Megan Ripley was killed near her home by Timothy Bean with a ML. It was tragic for everyone. He did the right thing and basically took what was coming to him.

Ask yourself this. Would you feel comfortable with someone shooting a ML within 100 yards of your home with your family out and about? Just a thought.

The NJ Division of FG&W are using centerfire rifles from high tree stands to thin deer herds in the South Mountain Nature Park adjoining suburbs in Essex County. That method, used with low velocity RBs for predator control, would be less disturbing to me personally than finding another grown dog killed and consumed by coyotes 10 yards outside the rear lawn fence. A place where even teenage children are no longer allowed to play. I don't know an easy solution to the growing problem of agressive predators in populated areas. Thanks though for the cautionary advise.

Have you considered a smoothie with largish shot? Might help with the safety concerns while also reassuring the neighbors.

I've successfully swatted yodel dogs with everything from 12 gauge 00 buck and #4 buck on calling ventures in close cover to 20 gauge loads of #5's on incidental encounters while bird hunting. All did the job nicely within reasonable range, though the 20 gauge #5's took a couple of shots. Rolled him on the first and dumped him for good when he tried to stand back up.

I'm betting an ounce or so of #3's or #2's through a jug choked smoothie would flat waste them inside 40 yards. Roundball here on the forum has posted some good stuff on jug choked 20's in the smoothbore section if you want to see more of the possibilities.

Back