• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 side lock with stuck ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makensmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I had my first dry ball last weekend and had a heck of a time. I could not get it to move with a light powder charge through the nipple channel. I then proceeded to pull the end off my fiberglass ramrod leaving the ball puller and the brass tip in the barrel. It only took me about 30 seconds to figure out that I would NEVER be able to get the breach plug out much less put it back properly. I was at a loss..........until i logged on and read a bunch of posts on this forum.

I am happy to say that the good advice found here was a rifle saver. I soaked the barrel with oil and then used a grease gun and fitting to push the ball and things out. I will post photo below.

Thanks to everyone here for the great advice!!!

stuckpbr.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I did it this summer in my Lyman Deerstalker. Luckily I had my T/C range rod with me; it's 3/8" diameter aluminum with a knob on the end. A friend had to hold the rifle while I used all I had to pull the darn thing out. There's no way I could have used it's nylon ramrod since it's too short and slippery.

I also recently bought one of Track of the Wolf's range rods which is 5/16" stainless steel with a wood handle. With either of these one piece rods I don't have to worry about a brass tip pulling off. I think it's money well spent to have one of these on hand, plus they are easier to use than a ramrod for wiping or cleaning the bore, at least for me.

Glad you got it out. Glad the forumw was able to help. After all, you have heard about the infinite number of monkeys using an infinite number of typewriters........ :shocked2: Oh, well. :wink:
When, if you put that brass back on the rod, same or any rod, do cross pin it in place to avoid this again.

Welcome to the dry ball club. there are only 3 kinds of ML shooters. Those who have dry balled. those who have yet to dry ball and liars. There are enough of us who have gone before that a "fix" was easy to find. :v

Makensmoke,

Could you give me a bit more detail on soaking the barrel in oil and using a grease gun to push the ball out. I don't have one stuck now, but it will only be a matter of time as was alluded to. Did you find a grease zerk with the same thread patter as the nipple?

Thanks,

Don

Don, The Traditions rifles all use a 6x1mm thread on the nipple and there are grease fittings for that thread. Just pick one up at the local auto parts store. I poured about a tablespoon of Breakfree CLP down the bore....after verifying no powder in breech....and let it sit over night. The grease gun was a $10 dollar special from Wally World and standard lithium grease. Took about 10-15 minutes and about 8 oz of grease to force the ball out.... but the clean up is going to be a bear.

And yes guys I am picking up a range rod on the way home today.

Thanks again to everyone!

Mike

I learnt the grease gun trick here on the forum while lookin' for solutions for my first dry-ball. sad to say I've had to use it twice more since :doh: . but on the plus side I now have a butter-tub of slightly used grease if anything ever needs slickin' up around here. ain't this site awesome? luck & have a good'en neighbors, bubba. :thumbsup:

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I would have never thought about using a grease gun. I just looked and there are zerks that fit the thread pattern of my Lyman. It's probably a little easier to push the ball out if I don't try the screw puller to start and expand the ball. I'd rather try to clean out the grease than fuss and fight trying to pull a ball.

I have learned so much from the helpful folks on this sight.

Don

When you go to clean out the grease, put a patch on the cleaning jag and leave the nipple off. Shove the grease back out the nipple hole and you'll be rid of most of it.

you can also try using air pressure.
remove the nipple place a rubber tipped air squirter there. point in a safe direction.
Apply air. Same theory of operation as an air powered bb gun.
BTW they do offer 45 and 50cal air guns.

Back