• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Rifle -A stuck ball and grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You always have caps and powder nipple wench or small screw driver for flints locks. You don't have to go to the store to buy,grease and/or grease gun you don't have to take the risk of breaking off a jag in a already stuck ball or wait till you get home to use that special rod you made for such ocasion. It is a no brainer , shoot it out!

If you have a stuck ball on YOUR rifle, it’s probably ok to shoot it out. On an unknown, new to you rifle? Better to pull the ball, or even un breech it. You don’t know who charged it , could be smokeless powder.

Stuck balls are one thing. Removing multi loads, marbles, match heads and the results of up to a dozen failed attempts is another. This especially when unbreeching is not an option.

Why aren't ball pullers used more frequently. If I have a loaded rifle that has been fired when I'm out hunting I always pull the ball and clean the rifle when I get home. Always works. No problems. I just throw the ball in a jar to be melted down next time. I can't understand all of these alternative ways of removing a ball. Seems like a solution to a non existing problem.

I unscrewed the touch hole, poured in 4f, replace touch hole thingy. Same but faster.
Are you recommending adding powder with a charge already in the barrel and the ball stuck halfway down like the OP’s situation?
Well it wasn't a dry ball the powder charge was in there. The ball got stuck about half way down.

Why aren't ball pullers used more frequently. If I have a loaded rifle that has been fired when I'm out hunting I always pull the ball and clean the rifle when I get home. Always works. No problems. I just throw the ball in a jar to be melted down next time. I can't understand all of these alternative ways of removing a ball. Seems like a solution to a non existing problem.
Often the ball puller doesn't remove the stuck ball. The act of screwing it in wedges the ball in tighter, and then the lead doesn't grab the screw well enough and strips out. Then what do you do? And then, once there's a hole all the way through the ball, what do you do? I suppose you could get a larger sheet metal screw. This comes up quite often, though it seems like it's been many months since the last one. Sounds like your stuck, or dry-balled situations have been run-of-the-mill.

Often the ball puller doesn't remove the stuck ball. The act of screwing it in wedges the ball in tighter, and then the lead doesn't grab the screw well enough and strips out. Then what do you do? And then, once there's a hole all the way through the ball, what do you do? I suppose you could get a larger sheet metal screw. This comes up quite often, though it seems like it's been many months since the last one. Sounds like your stuck, or dry-balled situations have been run-of-the-mill.
Never needed to put the screw completely through the ball to pull it. If you dont sufficiently get enough threads into the ball well sure it will strip out. It's not that complicated. It's the way folks been doin it since muzzleloading began I suppose. Here's a tip, spray some Balistol or other bore lube down to help the patch come up the bore. Take the handle of the rod and hook it over a rafter or in a tree notch and give a good yank. Ball will pop loose and you can pull it the rest of the way with minimal force. If screwing a ball puller in wedged the ball tighter the ball puller would have been abandoned 200 years ago. It's not rocket science. Some folks just wanna make life gadgety and overcomplicated. I. Surprised I ain't heard nobody tryin to melt a stuck ball out yet.

How many ways can you have a stuck or dry ball without it bein run of the mill???

Do a little search, Salty. There's no shortage of threads on this topic. :p

If you have a stuck ball on YOUR rifle, it’s probably ok to shoot it out. On an unknown, new to you rifle? Better to pull the ball, or even un breech it. You don’t know who charged it , could be smokeless powder.
I think it is a good idea to know what is in the rifle before you make a huge mistake as well.

Back