• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Pedersoli "Kitucky" Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are. M.

NC NMLRA Field Rep, NRA ML Instructor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I made it through the woes and wonts of my pistol kit successfully. The highs and the lows, the gouges and filings, the cursing and sanding, have all wrought the completion of my third kit build.

All that to say this:
Kibler spoiled me.

There are a few things I forgot about that I'm less than happy with, but overall, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. It was also a lot of fun to have another kit to build.

I draw filed the barrel and took all the color off the lock to make it match my Kibler Colonial. I'm just going to let it do its natural thing to see what happens. Worst case, I blue it and card it back. Two easy extra steps.

Most of the wood finishing and handle shaping was done with scrapers. I hit the whole thing lightly with 220 as a final finish before sealing.

I sealed it twice then applied two coats of tru-oil. After the oil cured, I went over it with paste wax on some green scotch brite to get a lower-luster finish.

Let me know what y'all think and if you have any questions about my process.

RM

Last edited:
Pics that didn't post with the OP.

Attachments

• 20210912_200656.jpg
    20210912_200656.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210912_200706.jpg
    20210912_200706.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210912_193039.jpg
    20210912_193039.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210912_200759.jpg
    20210912_200759.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210912_200731.jpg
    20210912_200731.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210912_200951.jpg
    20210912_200951.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 73
Overall looking good, I'm sure you learned some lessons carving that. I would have taken a little more time cleaning up some of the carved areas and smoothing some sections of wood a little more. I would like to be able to do some nice stock carving or metal engraving but that might have to wait until I retire.

You just gotta go for it. Start honing your craft now so you'll be good at it by the time you want to get good at it.

My problem with cleaning this gun up is that the walnut never agrees with me. I try sanding it, the lines go away. I try slicing it, a chip peels up in a direction I don't want. I strop my tools every couple of strokes just to keep a keen edge, but alas. Sometimes it do. Sometines it don't.

Big shout out from Joco! Small world. Looks very good. Great job stepping out trying your hand at carving. I tried my hand at carving on my powder horn this past week as well. Looking forward to my .50 cal Pedersoli pistol kit coming in this week and getting started.

Last edited:
Not bad at all, looking good. I did a little carving on a CVA mountain rifle which needed a refinish and went through a lot of my wife's cheap nail files for sanding around detail work. Just a tip for your next one because there is always another one in your future.

Back