• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Hawken by Cooner54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
cooner54.jpg

Bought this from cooner54 about a month or so ago. I finally get a chance to try it out. No place to shoot around here anymore. My Buddy belongs to a Gun club, so I get go with him as a guest, when our schedules match up.
Made a couple of dumb mistakes. "First" one was trying to cram too much in one outing, I took three guns to shoot for the first time. :nono: :shake: "Second" one..Left all my super secret lubed patching material at home in the freezer!! :cursing: I did scrounge a piece of ticking, big enough 40 shots or so. It sometimes pays not to clean out the truck. :)
I decided to just shoot the Hawken and the Cherry wood stocked 36 cal. flinter I bought from Steve Zihn.. What a contrast!!
I used 80 grns FFF, .535 rb, .018 ticking w/GoJo as A patch lube. Had a choice of shootin 40, 50 or 100 yds. I went with 40 yds. Shot 5, 3 shot groups. All stayed under a inch, at about 3 o'clock in the 9 ring Not bad for a test outing. I might ad, that when I disassembled the rifle for cleaning I was truly amazed at the internal workmanship. Absolute precession. :bow: :bow:
Thanks again cooner54!! :thumbsup:
sniper

Yes, hats off to Cooner54. And Cooner, can you tell us more about the rifle? Such as; is it a copy of a particular original Hawken? Did you use a pre-carved stock? I'd sure like to know more details. Le Grand

Nope! No kit or pre-carve. I build from a maple board and start whittlin'. This rifle was based on the one pitured in Baird's MMC book on page 36. I omitted the patchbox, just like plain working Hawkens. This one is a 54 and has a 38" x 1" barrel. The original had a 37 1/2" barrel. The triggers and lock are Davis and the rest of the hardware I got from TOTW. I am glad she is working out for you Sniper. Glad ya like 'er and thanks for the good word.

Hiya friend! I've seen several posts on your guns over the past couple of years. They are sure beautiful. I'm going to have to get me one some day.

God bless bro! :thumbsup:

Well, hats off to you again, Cooner, that is a very fine looking rifle. I hope someday to cross your trail. Le Grand

"Nope! No kit or pre-carve. I build from a maple board and start whittlin'." Dont let him kid ya he starts by growing the tree like any true redman would, how do ya thinks he gets them so dang perfect?? Add a :thumbsup: :thumbsup: AND a :bow: Cooner. Now how long till mine is done :rotf: Fred :hatsoff: ( Ya waits when its that good and not just Hawken's but any he does, it's just worth it.)

Back