• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 fullstock Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
60 yards bench, 65 grains 3f Grafs, with .018 ticking around a .530 ball. Built this from a Pecatonica kit, the swapped the barrel to NOS Sharon barrel, love this gun. The 2 on the right was just my failure to follow thru.

Attachments

• 20211014_114529.jpg
    20211014_114529.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 79
Azmntman, I surely appreciate the comment, and I pray you are not correct about the wood. This is actually CM3. I had planned to order a new stock for the GM barrel in the near future.

Good looking gun. I would have cut closer to the lock plate, but that’s taste. You sure see the southren influence of Hawkens.
I think that’s the perfect grade of wood

Good looking gun. I would have cut closer to the lock plate, but that’s taste.

I agree that I like a closer mortise too, BUT I have found that on a lot of Hawken rifle originals, a larger area around the lock mortise is an actual feature of some of the existing rifles. Sort of style exception, but not always present....

HAWKEN ORIGINAL A.JPG
HAWKEN ORIGINAL B.JPG
HAWKEN ORIGINAL C.JPG

It hits where aimed and is almost too pretty to take into the woods (imho)

LD

I agree that I like a closer mortise too, BUT I have found that on a lot of Hawken rifle originals, a larger area around the lock mortise is an actual feature of some of the existing rifles. Sort of style exception, but not always present....

View attachment 100578 View attachment 100579 View attachment 100580

It hits where aimed and is almost too pretty to take into the woods (imho)

LD
That why I said matter of taste.
I left them big till I was taught they made them small. So I switched to small and poof found a lot of old guns with big.
I wasn’t criticizing, just a comment, because it’s a fine looking gun.

Since I am fairly new to this sport I have much to learn, and hopefully things get back to normal and I get a chance to build another. Thanks to all for their comments.

Outstanding! That is a beautiful rifle. I really like the contrast of the metal to wood. I always wanted to leave the metal in the white on a rifle but never did.
I have a piece of curly ash I building a .62 Cal full stock Hawken on. Hope it turns out that nice.
Mike

Outstanding! That is a beautiful rifle. I really like the contrast of the metal to wood. I always wanted to leave the metal in the white on a rifle but never did.
I have a piece of curly ash I building a .62 Cal full stock Hawken on. Hope it turns out that nice.
Mike
Thanks mcClura, I apply Kiblers patina solution then rub back to desired look. Find it much easier than blue or brown. Also it just looks right to me, not sure if many were done this way. I have done 6 this way.

That's a good-looking rifle, and a nice group that was shot with it!

I think it's great that you found a NOS Sharon barrel. Those were very highly regarded in their day. They were said to be deadly accurate, with the right load. You did some great shooting with yours!

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back