• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 caliber in flint...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollover Jack

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings, All,

I have been looking for a pistol to be a companion to my GPR, but have yet not found one due to my being a nit-picker. :youcrazy: These would be the specifications:

.54 caliber so as to use the same PRB as my rifle.

Flintlock so as to not need both caps and rocks.

Hooked breech to facilitate cleaning.

Possibly a belt hook.

If the Traditions Trapper pistol was available in .54 and flint that would be much what I have in mind.

So, what would be the recommendations of the august members of the Forum? :yakyak:

Thanking you in advance for your ideas and insight.

Why not get a Lyman pistol? They match your rifle and caliber, and are also available as in kit form.

Mr. Frizzen,

I have seen these advertised, but I was not aware of any in flintlock. I do agree that it would be a very good match for my GPR.

Pedersoli makes a .54 Kentucky pistol and also in kit form. Check out Dixie. Doesn't have a hooked breech, but I don't think you need one....'course that is your decision. No belt hook either, but they are available separately, or make your own from an old spoon or fork, etc.

Kentucky pistol, in 54 caliber for sure! But would you do a kit or do you need it made?

54 cal is a great round ball!

Zoar,

I may have to build a kit, although I would rather not. I can work metal fairly well, but the wood will probably turn out as if I held a beaver to it as a power tool. :cursing:

The Lyman Great Plains Pistol is not available as flintlock in either kit or factory assembled gun.

It MIGHT be possible to buy a percussion kit and a GPR flint barrel and lock, cut the barrel off and install it in the pistol stock....No, that's the right answer...

Back