• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 CAL Renegade TEST

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short Arm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out this morning and work up a load for my 54 cal Renegade. A good friend was nice to send me a 415 gr minie mold for my 54. He walk me threw casting and applying wax to the minie. Here is what this thing did this morning. At 50 yards 80 grains of 2-F 3 Shots from the bench.So I will stay within 50 yards this season.

minietarget.jpg

ericb,Is 1 in 48, this rifle also shoot a 530 round with 50 grains of 3-F at 50 yards died on also. After that good luck. Nice little gun for 50 yards.

The load for the minie is great for hunting , But the load for your .530 RB while good for target shooting, is too light for a hunting load. Go up at 5grns intervals to find a hotter load with the same accuracy, most folks find around 70 to 90grns to be the best load. JMHO.

Very nice shooting :thumbsup:

That will put the hurt`n on some stuff.

Open,have never do this before. You get lucky every now and then, today was my day. I had a problem getting on target out to 100. I think I was blowing the skirt apart on the minie. I have some 54cal 380 gr. R.E.A.L. Rounds I'm going to try this week. Hope to get out to 100 yards. I need a heavy round for elk.

done not do.I'm going to try a over shot card on the minie. Hope this will help out to 100 yards. I'm working on a hunting load for deer and elk. The new place that I have to hunt on has both. I need one load that will work on both.Never know what is going to walk out.

That's the trouble with those skirted conicals. They turn into badminton birds! :haha:

Not criticising your choice to shoot slugs, but if you can get an accurate round ball load at 80 grains or so, you will be good to go for deer and elk. Been proven over and over.

Going out in the morning and work on the round ball. These minies is going back in the pot

I had that same experience with minies. Anything over about 60 grains and they got a bit crazy downrange. Better off with a solid base slug or one of the thick skirted ones like the Hornady great plains. Also, the lyman Great Plains mold if you are amenable to getting into casting your own.

For myself, slugs in a .54 are too much physical pain. :haha:

I have a 50 cal hawken that I love to shoot and hunt with but I bought a Renegade 54 cal a while back brand new in the box for $150.00.Man this gun shoots great with round ball and 85 grains of 3f. I was going to start up going up with powder but it shot so well I have not done it yet.A friend had the gun his wife bought him few years ago but he never shot it,I offered $150 he said ok.I couldnt believe it!

Back