• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Cal pistol effective range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Contender

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I read, that Green Mountain Barrels makes a 11 to 12 inch 54 cal black powder pistol barrel. What would the effective hunting range of this barrel?

Though you may have good accuracy to 50yrds, I would not push beyond 35 yrds for deer. The majority of deer I kill with a rifle are not much beyond this, so getting a shot should not be too much of a problem, but be sure you have enough power to do the job humanely. I have a friend who killed a nice buck at 20 yrds with an 1860 44 Colt army and got full penetration through the rib cage, so I would think that you should have no problem as long as you can place your shot where you want it to go.

Though you may have good accuracy to 50yrds, I would not push beyond 35 yrds for deer. The majority of deer I kill with a rifle are not much beyond this, so getting a shot should not be too much of a problem, but be sure you have enough power to do the job humanely. I have a friend who killed a nice buck at 20 yrds with an 1860 44 Colt army and got full penetration through the rib cage, so I would think that you should have no problem as long as you can place your shot where you want it to go.

Please double check to see if your state allows black powder HANDGUN hunting...

I know Ohio only allows a few cartridge calibers.

All black powder is rifle/musket only in Ohio.

Hey Doc,
I agree with Wink, 30 yds at the maximum. If you are hunting in muzzleloading only season, be sure to check the hunting regs real close. Here in Arizona Rifle or handgun in muzzleloading only season must be loaded from the muzzle only, and fire only one projectile from the one barrel. I have a friend who has a custom flinter with a rotating barrel that has two seperate barrels on it and he has to use it during the general hunting season here. Arizona does have a seperate handgun season on Javalina that would allow bothe black powder revolver and muzzleloading handguns to be used. That is the only handgun season we have here.
Till Later,
Pahu Aska

Sorry Wick, I didn't mean to call you Wink. Fingers and memory don't work as well as they used too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pahu Aska

You guys need to hunt here in Georgia. I've killed a many deer with my Ruger "Old Army". All have been within fifty yards. Normally I use the rifle but have had more chances than a few to kill a second deer with the pistol before I could reload the rifle. I have also used it to dispatch a deer that was already down but still alive with it. I wouldn't go in the woods without one!
grin.gif

Latest posts

Back