• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54 Cal Hawken Style, SW Idaho

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to look over a .54 Hawken, as none of my local (Nampa) gun stores are currently carrying anything except the new style straight line guns, is there anywhere in the SW Idaho area that I can actually handle and look over such a gun?, There must me some place in my area that sells real BP cap and Ball rifles. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Larry

Look up the eedahow longrifles group. They shoot at the range in Emmet as I recall. They could put you in touch with the right people. Also check out the gun shows at the Boise fairgrounds, you will find some there from time to time. Good Luck

I know Idaho is a big state, or at least a long state, so I don’t know how accessible Ponderay is to you. However, there is an outfit called Buffalo Arms in Ponderay that would be worth checking out. They specialize in black powder cartridge guns and equipment, but they also carry new and used muzzleloaders and everything you need to shoot them. I have no doubt they would be familiar with Hawkens. Google “buffalo arms blackpowder” to find their website. You can look at that to see if they might be worth a visit.

Also, October Country Muzzleloading is based in Hayden, Idaho. Again, I don’t know where that is in relation to you, but they are a full-service muzzleloading supplier, with new and used guns and supplies... The works. I can’t say that they have a Hawken for you to examine, but they might, and you can bet your hoss they know what one is. They also have a website. Google “October country black powder (I don’t know how to post links with this new device my wife made me buy).

You might also go to NMLRA.org and look up the Idaho field rep for the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association. He could certainly direct you to someone who might help.

Finally, there is a forum member named Joseph who had a somewhat non-standard Hawken-style rifle made by a small-town gunsmith in Idaho. I don’t remember the builder’s name, but the rifle was outstanding. If Joseph sees this, maybe he will tell us more.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Back