• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.530 or .535?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickScotch

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This year my wifes uncle brought a 54 cal. Lyman Trade Rifle to elk camp that he gave me on "permanent loan". He also gave me some 777 and some 275gr Barnes sabots. I loaded it with 100gr of powder and hit 6" steel plates every time at 50 yards off hand. Now in Colorado you can't use sabots during muzzle loading season and today I was looking at some round balls to try in it. I found some that were .530 and some that were .535. Any recomendations on either and why?

I use .530 and .018 patches in my Trade Rifle with excellent results.

Actually I shoot both diameters and just adjust the patch thickness. Both are accurate in my .54. One of the best patch materials I have ever found is my worn out felt, field and stream shirts I buy at Costco. The cloth is perfect with a tight weave and proper thickness. I use it in all my muzzle loading arms now days and the supply is endless as I go through my work shirts regularly.MD

That's a good idea MD, but I never seem to wear those Costco felt shirts out.

Jeff

I'd try the 530s first. You can always go with a thicker patch but can only go so thin. They will still work and after you can decide if you have the room to move up to a bigger ball.

Hunterbug said:
some that were .530 and some that were .535. Any recomendations on either and why?

Ya just gotta shoot'm both and see.
Because your rifle will like one or the other better.
Don't piss around trying to adjust patch, just shoot with what ya have, adjust the powder charge up-n-down a bit with each and use the ball, load and patch your rifle tells you it likes best.

Sorry, there never has been an easy short cut to finding an optimum load in a rifle,,
Ya gotta shoot it and ya gotta experiment.

Those felt shirts make excellent cleaning and lubing patches as well. They are tough,absorbent and tightly weaved.None of the patches I have ever bought can come close to them for what we do and the price is sensational. :grin:
I cut them into about 1 1/4 inch wide strips, fold them into zig-zags and punch out .54 patches 13-14 at a time.I'll see if I can get some pictures to come up.MD

P1010168.jpg

P1010170.jpg

P1010171.jpg

P1010172.jpg

P1010177.jpg

P1010178.jpg

The small cutter is up through .45 cal and the other is my .54 cutter. Never tried those diameter patches in my .58 but it may be large enough as I usually shoot conicals in that gun. MD

I start out with a.535 dia. RB when I'm hunting and if needing a second shot, I go to the .530 RB.
Loads easier w/o having to swab in the field. POI is not enough to make a difference.
Vearl

It's been my experience that both size RBs do well as long as ya have the correct patch and powder combos.. for instance: I shoot a 530 RB with an .018 patch and 80 grains of powder. When I go to my 535's I shoot a .015 patch and 70 grains of powder...If adjust the patch and powder... even a little.. it throws my groups off.
ALSO.. what is the rate of twist in your rifle? It may not be suited to shoot RBs a perfect RB rate of twist is 1:66... while an either or is a 1:48 and 1:25 will shoot sabots but not RBs too well. I am sure there are ALWAYS going to be exceptions to the rule..

Trade rifles are 1-48 and usually can shoot both RB and conicals well with load refinement.

Same barrels found on Cabela's Hawken and discontined Lyman plains rifle (not Great Plains).

I use the .535 and .018 pillow tick over 90 grains FFg and Mink Oil from Track of the Wolf in my 1:70 twist Green Mtn. Barrel. That combination was recommended by more than several forum members :bow: Take their suggestions and you will have a good start and be ahead of the game :thumbsup:

Yup, my GM barrel likes .535,
but my Investarms likes 530 as well as the Renegade, :idunno:
Ya gotta shoot the gun to find out what it likes, there is no definitive answer to what barrel will shoot what ball best.

I use .535's and a .018 patch and 90 grains of ffg. Its a tight squeeze but it works great out of my rifle. :thumbsup:

HH 60

necchi said:
Yup, my GM barrel likes .535,
but my Investarms likes 530 as well as the Renegade, :idunno:
Ya gotta shoot the gun to find out what it likes, there is no definitive answer to what barrel will shoot what ball best.

Wat Necchi said. There are not fixed rules. For target shooting I use a larger ball, same patch but a bigger hammer for starting.
Hunting is the smaller ball for easier loading and negligibly less accuracy.

Trot said:
I use .530 and .018 patches in my Trade Rifle with excellent results.

Same thing here.

Mine likes the following loads: 90 grains Goex 3F or 70 grains T7 3F.

Back