• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 or .54 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So first off I am new to muzzle loading and want to buy one of the kits in the link below, question is which caliber should I buy .50 or .54 Caliber ? I'm just a target shooter nothing serious just for fun and no hunting. I like the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and I understand that the Lyman is actually made by Perdersoli in Italy

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/lymantm-great-plains-flintlock-kit.html

If you're just planning to target shoot, then I don't think there's much of a difference between 50 and 54 cal. Sometimes 54 cal accessories might be somewhat less available at big box stores (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.) but are definitely around if you go to sites that focus on muzzleloading. Do you plan to cast your own balls or buy factory?

I've always shot 54 cal, so that's my bias. Becoming more important for me now that some states like Colorado are requiring PRBs to be greater than 50 cal for elk hunting.

Another note... I've only shot percussion, no personal experience with flintlocks. Does seem there are mixed reviews on the quality of the locks provided with the Investarms rifles/kits. I've never had issues with the percussion locks on my Investarms guns.

Someone with more experience may chime in.

If you're just planning to target shoot, then I don't think there's much of a difference between 50 and 54 cal. Sometimes 54 cal accessories might be somewhat less available at big box stores (Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.) but are definitely around if you go to sites that focus on muzzleloading. Do you plan to cast your own balls or buy factory?

I've always shot 54 cal, so that's my bias. Becoming more important for me now that some states like Colorado are requiring PRBs to be greater than 50 cal for elk hunting.

I have no plans to cast my own bullets, but down the road I plan on buying a Harpers Ferry Pistol kit , that said the thought just came to mind that I should stick to one caliber for convenience .

I have no plans to cast my own bullets, but down the road I plan on buying a Harpers Ferry Pistol kit , that said the thought just came to mind that I should stick to one caliber for convenience .
I might suggest the 50 cal then if you're going to be relying on factory made balls.

Should you just want to shoot you can do well with in a hundred yards with a .45, ball and powder are cheaper.
Old fingers like them bigger ball but a .45 is easy to handle. You need to buy the gun you like and what we want is what we want, however have you thought about some of the longer slimmer rifles.

for better wind bucking, I would go with the .54. as for the geometry, see if you can shoot (or at least put up to your face), the Lyman … I am given to understand that the geometry feels odd to some, although I've never fired one, and the rifle I picked up felt just fine when brought to shoulder.

for good accuracy, check out Dutch Schoultz' method … I managed to lose the link, but it's something on the order of 'blackpowderaccuracy.com'

good luck, and Make Good Smoke!

Should you just want to shoot you can do well with in a hundred yards with a .45, ball and powder are cheaper.
Old fingers like them bigger ball but a .45 is easy to handle. You need to buy the gun you like and what we want is what we want, however have you thought about some of the longer slimmer rifles.

I'm a firm believer in the "what we want is what we want" I really like the look of the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and I like Carbines so short guns make me smile :).

Are you saying that a .45 caliber ball can be shot from a .50 or .54 :confused: ,

for better wind bucking, I would go with the .54. as for the geometry, see if you can shoot (or at least put up to your face), the Lyman … I am given to understand that the geometry feels odd to some, although I've never fired one, and the rifle I picked up felt just fine when brought to shoulder.

for good accuracy, check out Dutch Schoultz' method … I managed to lose the link, but it's something on the order of 'blackpowderaccuracy.com'

good luck, and Make Good Smoke!

I have yet not been able to hold a Lyman there are none in my local stores and I doubt they will ever have a blacl powder muzzle loader :( , just not there thing .

Ill look for the site you suggest :cool:

I vacillated on .50 and .54 for a few years and ended with .54 There are reasons including game stopping and bullet drop, I think for myself the only disadvantage would be .54 is maybe less versatile with smaller game. But I have a .32 for that. Otherwise I am vary happy I went with .54.

No Jackman you should not try to shoot a 45 caliber projectile in either a 50 or 54 caliber rifle.

Got it ha ha just thought I was missing something being a greenhorn an all in the muzzle loading world :) . Thanks!

I believe one of our long time members reports taking the wrong balls shooting and doubled or tripled the patch and shot .45 out of a .50 (pr .50 out of a .54?) Make sure it stays on powder and it will shoot, slips off the powder yer barrel may be ruined.

I'm a firm believer in the "what we want is what we want" I really like the look of the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and I like Carbines so short guns make me smile :).

Are you saying that a .45 caliber ball can be shot from a .50 or .54 :confused: ,
Has ha, no I was just saying that a .45 was a good shooting size. No trouble hunting deer with it or tree rats, but since you were not going to hunt any bigger caliber is just extra lead,
The GPR is a fine gun. I got my first .54 in 1978, and I always had one until 2014. Had a .50 as my first and still own a .50. Had a.45 for years and happy with it. You won’t find any thing wrong with any one of them.

So first off I am new to muzzle loading and want to buy one of the kits in the link below, question is which caliber should I buy .50 or .54 Caliber ? I'm just a target shooter nothing serious just for fun and no hunting. I like the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and I understand that the Lyman is actually made by Perdersoli in Italy

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/lymantm-great-plains-flintlock-kit.html
If you are only target shooting I suggest you get the .50 caliber. Personally if I was just target shooting I would get a .32 caliber.
Keith.

Back